cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox keeps crashing

Dropbox keeps crashing

Javvie
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

I reinstalled windows, so everything is clean now and I wanted to install and sync dropbox. But it is not syncing and keeps crashing. I have a lot of files on my account but I choose to sync only one small folder. What can be wrong? How can I find what causes the problem?

Thanks!

8 Replies 8

Re: Dropbox keeps crashing

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hello there @Javvie, I'm sorry to hear you're having this issue!

So I can have a better understanding of your current situation, could you just let me know if the app is crashing when the app is starting up or during syncing?

Also, do you possibly have any symlinks within your Dropbox folder? You can locate any symlinks with the steps listed in point 7 here.

Finally, can you let me know which version of the desktop app you have installed on your computer?

Let me know what you find and we'll go from there - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Javvie
Explorer | Level 3

My dropbox app version is 82.4.155

It is crashing couple of minutes after starting, when it displays "Syncing..."

The symlinks procedure shows me some weird files on my drive. I deleted them but no success...

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for that info @Javvie!

Can you just let me know if you have a large amount of files syncing to your desktop app? If you have a large number of files trying to sync, then this could be the reason for the app crashing as the performance of the app can start to decline when it reaches the soft limit of around 300,000 files. However, this is highly dependent on your device's specifications too.

Usually, selective sync can reduce the load on the app and could resolve the issue you're having with the app crashing. 

Keep me posted - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Javvie
Explorer | Level 3

well, I have a huge amount of files on my account, but I want to sync just one folder. 

FYI, I reinstalled dropbox again, deleted everything from APPDATA etc, and chose nothing to sync. Even though, the icon show "Syncing..." constantly and the process use a vast amount of memory and network...

Javvie
Explorer | Level 3

Still nothing, can anyone help me with this?

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @Javvie,

I'd like to have a better look into some device specific info with you, so I've reached out to the email associated with your Community profile. If you'd like to continue troubleshooting, please just check your inbox when you have a moment and we can go from there.

Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Javvie
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks I wrote you an email but no response

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for the update @Javvie!

I've just followed up there so we can continue via email. 

Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropboxer
    Javvie Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?