cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox keeps quitting unexpectedly

Dropbox keeps quitting unexpectedly

Taladris
Explorer | Level 3

Since a few weeks, I keep receiving a "Dropbox quit unexpectedly" notification. Clicking on "Restart Dropbox" restarts it for a few minutes only. The status stays on "Syncing..." too.

I tried: 
1. to reinstall Dropbox on the existing installation.
2. Uninstall and reinstall Dropbox.  

In both cases, the process seems to have worked perfectly, but the problem remains.

I also had a look at a similar question (https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installs-integrations/Dropbox-unexpectedly-quit/td-p/375056) but it didn't have a solution.

This is really frustrating. What can I do?

5 Replies 5

Re: Dropbox keeps quitting unexpectedly

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @Taladris, thanks for reaching out to us - I'd be more than happy to help!

As a first step, since you mention that you've tried reinstalling the desktop app - awesome work on some initial troubleshooting by the way - could you let me know what the Dropbox icon shows when you hover over it? 

If you don't see it, it means that the desktop app isn't running and you'll have to manually relaunch it. 

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Taladris
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for the answer and sorry for late reply.

The icon stays grey most of the time and the tooltip when hovering is usually "Starting...", sometimes "Connecting..." for longer than before the problem started.  After some time, I get "Dropbox 88.4.172" and "Syncing..." or "Syncing 1 file" (though there should be more than one file to sync).

Note on the version: I first reinstalled the latest version 89.3.xxx. I saw in a similar question that 3 means beta version and that it was advised to change to a stable version xx.4.xxx.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Welcome back, @Taladris:grin:

You are right, the beta version can be recognized by a xx.3.xx, instead of the xx.4.xx which is the stable version of the desktop app.

If you find that you're on a beta build, it means that you have opted in to Early Releases. To install the stable version of the desktop app:

1. Log in to the website.
  2. Click on the picture/avatar at the top right corner of the page.
  3. Go to Settings.
  4. Uncheck the box next to Include me in early releases under your General tab.
  5. Download and install the desktop app

If you've done this already and you don't see a difference in behavior, could you try temporarily disabling any security or antivirus software that you have, as they may be preventing the desktop app from syncing correctly?

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Taladris
Explorer | Level 3

I tried to deactivate my antivirus and my firewall but nothing changed. Thanks for your time.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Sorry to hear that you're still having trouble with this, @Taladris

Just to make sure that we cover most initial ground, did you also install the stable version of the desktop app?

What does the Dropbox icon that's next to your computer's clock show when you hover over it? 

Let me know of any updates!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropboxer
    Taladris Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?