cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox keeps (re)indexing and syncing after activating smart sync

Dropbox keeps (re)indexing and syncing after activating smart sync

Wietse V.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I've recently activated the smart sync functionality for my teams account. When I did, Dropbox started indexing and syncing a huge number of files which made sense to me because it needed to download all shortcuts to online files (the ones y had previously saved online only using selective sync). However, after finishing the whole process (after a day or so of syncing), and restarted my laptop, Dropbox seems to have started the process all over again. And today again. When hovering over the dropbox icon in the taskbar, the pop up message mentions hundreds of thousands of files to be indexed and uploading/downloading tens of thousands of files too. These numbers go down slowly (syncing in progress) but then go up again as if the whole process starts all over. 

Is this a know issue? Normal behaviour? Any suggestions about what I could do to solve this?

I'm running Windows 7 and Dropbox v47.4.74

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

23 Replies 23

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @MrV, thanks for nudging us here and welcome to the Dropbox Community!

As a first step, I'd recommend checking out this article in case one of the ways listed helps tackle this behavior. 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

MrV
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Lusi,

Had a quick look and I have to say that the problem isn't as much the high resource draw (well just time as it doesn't slow down the device that much) from the computer rater the general behavious of Always needing to sync once the computer starts up. The fact that it has to go through this process Every time creates a great delay in synking actuall files I need and also chews up battery. 

I will check more in depth re number of files etc as per artice, but overall, even on my 1t 16gb ram SurfaceBook it's taking it's time Every time you restart the computer and DB desktop start up fresh.

To test it for myself again, I left my Surface Go to fully complete sync over night. Then in the morning I restarted the device and observed the following.

6.35 device restart
6.36 device up and running
6.37 db desktop app started
6.42 db complets startup sequence and begins to check for changes
6.47 db check for changes complete - now starting to synk 34.000 files (!!!!)
7.03 db 16.500 files left to sync (I have fast fibre btw)
7.12 db 3000 files left to sync
7.15 db sync complete
Total run time: 40min

Now, how is it possible that 34.000 files need synking when I know that nobody is using our filing system at that time (guarateed) and minutes prior, before restarting the device, DB was up to date. 

I went through almost the identical timeline this evening when starting up the surface. I don't ever remember experiencing the same issue when I used to have our entire DB folder stored on my drive, just now when I have started using smart sync to save space. 

I only run smart sync and no selective sync as all folders are ticked. 

Many thanks for any thoughts or comments. 
V

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for keeping me in the loop, @MrV

Hmm. :thinking: Could it be by any chance a third party app that's effecting the syncing process during startup?

In any case, let me know what you find and I'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

MrV
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

That's not a bad thought but my surface go is almost brand new with absolutely minimal software installed. Just bare essentials Office and browser sort of thing. Struggling to think that there is anything wrong with the filing structure as the device is new with a clean install and has behaved like this straight away.

My samsung laptop is also bare bone install and behaves the same. My surface book has a fair bit on it but still... they all behave the same. 

I have tried reinstalling the desktop app on both surfaces with no effect. Took 30min with 30k files synking again this morning. 

Nothing smart about the smartsynk haha :slight_smile:

Btw, i never really engage to write to support etc but this is definetly getting to me that much that I am!

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the additional info and sorry to hear about your frustration, @MrV.

I've followed up with a ticket to the email address connected to your Community profile so that we can have a more in depth look into this together. 

When you have the chance, please check your inbox and we'll take it from there. Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

maffye
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Is there any development in this case?

I have the same problem with 42.000 files that are synching and resynching again. 
This happened when my dropbox had stopped synching after the "out of space" event.
I had deleted lot of files so as to free space, I 've managed taht one, but unfortunately it occured now the re-synching event (in contrast with my laptop , where everything is ok)

I have already reinstalled the dropbox without having a solution. My system in my desktop is windows 7

I dont have any firewall, or antiviruse , malware app.

Is there any cure? Thank you in advance

Hitch
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I have something somewhat similar occurring. The last few months (2 or so), it's as though suddenly, Dropbox is using all my available bandwidth and synching takes forever. I've used DB for nearly a dozen years, so it's not like I'm unfamiliar with what to expect.

What's odd is, for example, I'll add one new 300mb video to a DB folder with 200 other videos. The next thing I know, all of the videos are being re-synched and reindexed.  For no apparent reason and when I check on the website, it advises me that they've all been "updated" when no--they haven't.  This is affecting the performance of my computer significantly, in terms of eating upload time, download time, and it's even whacking my VOIP. (I have to turn off DB synching to use my d*mn phone!).  I've never had to do this before, not even close

I really don't know what the Hades to do about it, either.  I have  42.5% of slightly over 3TB used.  I'm at the point of thinking that I should nuke DB or nuke half of it and move the rest of my files to a straight server, like S3.  

DragonLover
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
How I solved this problem is this: I found out that I could see which item stayed un-synced. I cut and pasted that item elsewhere and Dropbox worked properly again. In my case it was a zipped file that caused the trouble.

Hitch
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hi, DragonLover: Thanks, but sadly, that's not going to help me. I'm having this issue across the entirety of my Dropbox, apparently and something--something--has changed in the last few months.

I've run the same setup, same computer, same speeds, bandwidth, etc., for a decade and all of a sudden, it's as though half my bandwidth has disappeared, even though my speed and png tests say it hasn't.  Something, somewhere, is screwing up the works and it seems to be oddly coincidental that there appears to have been a major DB overhaul around the same time.  

MrV
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Very interesting! I've had it doing a very similar thing. Well effectively hogging the bandwidht. It was actually my colleagues surface book which started running hot and the fans kicking in twice a day. This happened for a few weeks and when I bothered to ask him he said that it was DB synking. After looking at it a bit more I noticed that his DB had been synking, for NO reason files that were Already Synked over and over again taking upp all the bandwitdh. 

Not sure what he ended up doing but it's not doing it any more. DB never used to be this way. 

I undersatnd your frustration! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    sidejo New member | Level 2
    MrV Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?