cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox keeps restarting after I close it.

Dropbox keeps restarting after I close it.

Ksilverbow
Explorer | Level 3

Don't know exactly where to put this but will try here. I don't want dropbox open unless I open it.  But I can't keep it closed. I have it set to not open on startup in both the preferences and I have also used my CCleaner to do the same. Sometimes after it has been closed through (and i have even gone through and done this through taskmaster) It will just open itself up like a happy little camper.) I don't want to uninstall it because I do use it but I don't want to use it unless I need it. This morning it just opened itself up and started syncing tons of folders, and I haven't asked it too. Any thoughts?

8 Replies 8

Re: Dropbox keeps restarting after I close it.

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@Ksilverbow wrote:

... This morning it just opened itself up and started syncing tons of folders, and I haven't asked it too. Any thoughts?

Hi @Ksilverbow,

Last evening, did you left Dropbox running when you shutdown your computer? 🧐 Take in mind that many environments restore running applications on next get in! 😉 Very likely this is your case.

Hope this helps.

Ksilverbow
Explorer | Level 3

I didn't shut down my computer and dropbox was closed when I went to bed.

Ksilverbow
Explorer | Level 3

And again this morning it was completely shut down, disabled and still it opened itself up and tried to sync a bunch of folders.

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @Ksilverbow, have you tried reinstalling the desktop app by any chance? 

Just remember that if you're on a Basic (free) account, since there’s a three device limit, you'll have to make sure that you have less than three devices already connected to continue.

Give it a try and let us know how it goes, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Ksilverbow
Explorer | Level 3

Before I do the reinstall of it, is there a reason why I need to? Would it be corrupted? I don't mind doing a reinstall but if it is already installed. just want to know why I should. 

Daphne
Dropboxer
If the app is opening without being launched, then there could be an issue with the current installation you have @Ksilverbow.

If you're not taking any actions that could be prompting the app to launch, reinstalling would be a good place to start.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Ksilverbow
Explorer | Level 3

I'll start there then it has been since sometime last year when I put it in because this was a new computer. 

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey @Ksilverbow, just dropping in to see if you had the chance to reinstall the app yet? If not, just drop me a post here when you have - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropboxer
    Ksilverbow Explorer | Level 3
    Lusil Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?