Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox lack of user empathy when syncing more than 500k files?

Helpful | Level 6

Am I missing something?  I really hope so.

I've been using Dropbox for several years all-in personally.  The base product works well...when it works.

Last year, I discovered the hard way that they only support 500k # sync'd files.  I found out after I'd been successfully sincing 1M+ # files without error for years when DB app crashed.  Then I discovered DB support won't do anything to help you if you have problems while sync'ing more than 500k # files.

There are painful ways to then try and fix problems...I've spent literally months learning the hard way.  What really surprises me is the lack of information they provide to users....almost a reluctance to do so.  Why does the app not tell you want files it's currently syncing, indexing, etc?  When it crashes, why is there no log or any additional info?  I've tried and tried and support basically says, "you're right; I wish we had this info too, but the developers don't provide it."   [profanity removed as per Community Guidelines]!

The only reason I'm sticking with DB so far is they can support large files.  Microsoft OneDrive is about to up their limit to 100GB (not ideal, but workable).  When they do, I feel like DB has given me no choice but to switch.

Am I missing some wonderful debugging tools or hidden log files?  

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox lack of user empathy when syncing more than 500k files?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @geekforlife, I hope you're well today!

There is a soft limit for the desktop app, as its performance can decline when it's syncing more than 300,000 files. 

However, please bear in mind that this is highly dependent on your device's hardware specifications too, which might be why you were able to sync a large amount of files previously.

We have a Help Center article related to this here.

I'd be more than happy to try and assist you with getting the app up and running as you had it previously, but I'll need a little more info on the issue that you're currently having.

If you'd like to, please provide me some details and even screenshots if it would be relevant.

Thank you!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hi Daphne,

Thank you but, this is kind of what I'm talking about.  What is anyone supposed to do with a "soft limit"?  Is it supported or not?  Last year, I escalated my issue and was repeatedly told that if I sync more than 500,000 files, any error would not be supported by Dropbox.  I have this in writing multiple times.  This is not clearly communicated pre-sales.  You only find out after you've had problems.

Worst part: Dropbox gives no good solution for fixing a problem when the sync app crashes.  There is absolutely no log or diagnostic info available to the user.  And support staff won't help until you get below 500,000 files.  And even then, the only answer I've ever received is: Download files again from cloud (Dropbox.com) by starting fresh and downloading stubs ("Online Only").

But how about all of the edits/changes made before/during/after the app crash (which, btw, is often not obvious -- gets stuck, crashes, restarts on its own, etc.)?  How can the user tell if/what go sync'd or not?  Manually go through 500,000+ files on the cloud?  Maybe some critical file did not get sync'd because the app crashed.  Starting over from the cloud copies would lose all work that did not get sync'd.  How can Dropbox recommend this?  It's truly insane for a file storage company to be so uncaring about customer's data loss. 

Oh, and searching on Dropbox.com is pretty limited.  In fact, Dropbox own help recommends using local search.  But local full-text searching won't work on file stubs ("Online Only" SmartSync).  Dropbox, you can't have it both ways: a) recommending local search because your cloud search is weak, and b) not supporting all files sync'd locally.

These policies betray a hubris, a clearly engineering-led, customer-uncaring organization.  I find most DB support people nice, and apologetic for this; often saying, "yeah, I wish we had that info too."  The issue is rotten from the top.  I would love to see a dialog or at least statement about this from Drew Houston or Arash Ferdoswi.  There's a reason Microsoft is slowly eating your lunch.

Of course, it's not lost on me (nor many I suspect) that Dropbox is at least motivated to make it difficult to sync all files locally, since that makes it easier to switch away to a competitor.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @geekforlife, apologies for the tardy reply!

Thank you so much for your feedback on this, it's much appreciated the time you took to let us know your thoughts.

I've made a note of your comments that this could be made clearer in our resources.

Sorry that I can't be of much more help with this, but please do let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hi Daphne,

That help doc: https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/space-storage/file-storage-limit

actually does not address my issue.  

Let me try to explain again.

1) Your sync app is crashing when trying to sync my files to my computer.

2) Dropbox support will not help me resolve this problem because I am trying to download more than 500,000 files.

Can Dropbox help me sync all of my 1M+ files from Dropbox.com back down to my computer?  Your app is crashing repeatedly.

Note: I have plenty of space (40TB+) and plenty of bandwidth (1Gb fiber connection) and plenty of of horsepower (4 core Intel Core i5-7400 @ 3GHz).

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I completely understand @geekforlife and I'd be more than happy to help!

The first thing I'd like to clarify with you is your exact set up at the moment.

As I'm not 100% sure from your last post, can you let me know if you currently have all of your files locally on your computer in your Dropbox folder? Or have you removed the folder during troubleshooting?

Also, have you made recent edits to the files on your computer locally? Or would the most up to date be the files online (or perhaps even a mix of both)?

This will give me a better idea on how to advise depending on what you have set up as of right now.

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?