cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox makes Windows Explorer Slow

Dropbox makes Windows Explorer Slow

Rinconman
Helpful | Level 6

I have D for B.  Dropbox makes windowes explorer very slow.  If I pause syncing or exit dropbox it is fine.  Slow as in renaming a file can take 20 seconds.

I have a dell precision 7710 with windwos 10.  

My drive is a Samsung 970 Pro SSD

40GB Ram

Any ideas?

Although I do not want to do it, will uninstalling and reinstalling DB help?  Or are there temp files I can clean out?

33 Replies 33

PaulM73
Explorer | Level 4

Mine is already unticked.

kefayati
New member | Level 2

Same here. It seems dropbox is handing to file change hooks but does not release them until sync is finished or sth. Really frustrating.

I should add though, enabling "Launch..." increases the delay by an order of magnitude.

skullthug
New member | Level 2

I'm constantly having this issue on 3 seperate computers- my personal desktop, my laptop, and my work desktop (which is a powerhouse).
Organizing my files lately has been agony because it's so sluggish. Creating a new folder and renaming it can take up to 20 seconds.
My personal desktop is using 72.4.136

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey people (to anyone affected), sorry to hear you're having this issue.

At first, could you try re-installing our desktop app and see if this behavior improves in any way?

If that doesn't help, please go ahead and try an advanced re-install as the software on your computer might be somehow faulty. 

Should the matter at hand persist, please go ahead and log a ticket with our team with your device's specifics so we can assist further. You can do so from the following page if needed: https://www.dropbox.com/support

Thanking you in advance and happy Monday!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Chris S.70
Helpful | Level 5

Was there ever a resolution for the poor performance in Windows File Explorer? 

This has been an issue for me for YEARS and I finally had enough that I started searching around.  This happens on all my machines (laptop, desktop, past computers). 

Renaming a folder or file, moving things around, and other basic file operations can take FOREVER and the lag drives you crazy. 

After reading through this thread, I don't see any actionable items (my app is up to date, my default folder options don't launch folders in a new process, etc). 

It's getting to a point where usability is seriously impacted.  Help!

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Sorry to hear you're having issues with this @Chris S.70.

Can you confirm you've already consulted with the relevant resource at first?

If you have already done that, please go ahead and log a ticket with our team so we assist further: https://www.dropbox.com/support 

Let me know if there's anything I can do to assist with this and welcome to our Community Chris. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Chris S.70
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Walter,

I read through the article and none of those items match me (I have about 90K files, not using a NAS device, none of the other factors play a role). 

CPU usages for Windows Explorer really spikes whenever I do anything in a Dropbox folder... just deleting or renaming a folder spikes it up to 12-16%.  This behavior doesn't happen in non-Dropbox folders. 

This has been happening for so long across my various devices that I'm surprised it doesn't happen to more people. 

I will log a support ticket. 

Thanks, Chris

KiLLeRRaT
New member | Level 2
I'm also having this issue. Around 48,000 items in my dropbox.

Thierry M.4
New member | Level 2
Same problem for me Windows 10 Pro 64b version 18362.418, 16 GB memory, SSD 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Dropbox 32b, v84.3.155, 271861 files, 872 GB size Network fiber, 933Mb download, 293Mb upload

golinvauxb
Explorer | Level 4
Hello I have the same issue here. I am using Win 10 pro on a beefy Dell XPS. I have an internal 1TB SSD with a rather big Dropbox folder and I usually quit Dropbox after logging in so that my machine is usable. I leave it on from time to time to let it do its sync. It seriously hampers usability and I must admit I started looking at alternative solutions (although I love Dropbox, this performance problem that I can't recall seeing before 2016 worries me a lot). I am a developer, rather tech savvy, and I already did the advanced reinstall as well as making sure all the checkboxes were ticked (not using a NAS, all Explorer.exe windows in the same process...) I have other PCs on the LAN syncing on the same dropbox account. Could it be related? Thanks for any advice on things I could do to solve this.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Chris S.70 Helpful | Level 5
    dgcbritto New member | Level 2
    lpetrin New member | Level 2
    AlekseyVoz Helpful | Level 5
    golinvauxb Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?