Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox move leaves undeletable files and folder at old location

Explorer | Level 3

Yesterday, I moved my Dropbox folder from its location on my C:/ drive to a 3TB external drive.  I understand that, from now on, that external drive has to be running and connected before I boot my laptop.

My question is: what happens to the original Dropbox folder on my C:/ drive.  Is it safe to delete those file and the folder completely.  If I do that, will my files in the cloud remain?

I did this because 1TB of cloud space in Dropbox is eating up all my space on C:/.  Selective sync works, but is, for me, not the desired solution.  I need to be able to access my Dropbox files from my laptop.

In a nutshell, I want to go ahead and delete the C:/ Dropbox folder using Windows 10.  Is that ok/safe?

Thanks.

Caruso

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox move leaves undeletable files and folder at old location

Super User II
Super User II
It should be safe to do it as long as the move completed successfully. Dropbox can only sync with on folder, so it's either syncing to the old one or the new one. If it's syncing to the new one, you can safely delete the old.

If you want to be certain that it won't be a problem, rename the folder first, before deleting, to confirm that the files are syncing.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox move leaves undeletable files and folder at old location

Super User II
Super User II
It should be safe to do it as long as the move completed successfully. Dropbox can only sync with on folder, so it's either syncing to the old one or the new one. If it's syncing to the new one, you can safely delete the old.

If you want to be certain that it won't be a problem, rename the folder first, before deleting, to confirm that the files are syncing.

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?