cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox needs to change permissions for the folder... after enabling DB on new account

Dropbox needs to change permissions for the folder... after enabling DB on new account

Barry G.16
Explorer | Level 3

I recently needed to create an account on my MacBook Pro for my wife.  She needed access to her dropbox account so we logged here in and set her up.  My log in for DB is on my account, which is the Admin for the machine.

Since then, whenever I log into my account,  I get a prompt that "Dropbox needs to change permissions for the folder..." and need to provide my Admin password.  TWICE.  Looking at the info panel for the dropbox folder, it says I have full read / write permission and none of the options for changing are active.  The other issue here is that Dropbox is running CPU at 160% plus for the first 30 minutes of use- even when there is little to nothing to sync from mydesktop.  So more an annoyance than a deal killer- but the machine runs hot and the processor is chewing up battery life.

There was a similar conversation in 2018- but based on a naming convention for the folders.  Did not see anything there that applies here.  Any help appreciated.

3 Replies 3

Re: Dropbox needs to change permissions for the folder... after enabling DB on new account

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @Barry G.16; thanks for posting on our Community!

Did you install the desktop app with admin privileges in the first place? Could you please send me a screenshot of the exact message you get so I can have a visual too?

In regards to the high CPU usage you're noticing, I'd suggest taking a look at the relevant Help Center article.

Keep me posted, Barry. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Dropbox needs to change permissions for the folder... after enabling DB on new account

Barry G.16
Explorer | Level 3

This is still an open issue.

Dropbox was originally installed on my log in- so I am the admin.  I added the second account to the Mac without admin privileges as it was originally only for using Zoom on that machine.  We later installed DB so that files could be easily transitioned to the second user's DB for accessibility on her desktop.  

Does that answer the question?  Thanks!

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to us here @Barry G.16, and apologies for the tardy reply!

Would you mind sending us a screenshot of the error that you mentioned getting when signing into your user profile?

Also, do you have the Dropbox folder in the default location under your User folder on each profile? Or did you perhaps move the Dropbox folder to another location?

Let me know!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?