cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox no longer can connect (yes, I've selected No Proxy)

Explorer | Level 4

This morning I noticed DB not syncing and giving me an error of "Can't establish secure internet connection". I did a quick search and implemented the common solutions:  check the time, check "No Proxy" and re-installed the latest build. All with no luck. 

I did notice that this happened right as I was trying to transfer a lot of files from an old external HD to DB. I know that it was going to take hours/days and when I checked it 12 hours later is when I notice no sync and all that wasted time. 

Update: All my folders now have the green checked box next to them, but I still get the "Can't establish secure internet connection" error. error.jpg

When I try to use Selective Sync, it looks like this:

no_connect.jpg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox no longer can connect (yes, I've selected No Proxy)

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @kbowman016, thanks for posting your query on the Community and for troubleshooting with @Здравко. Awesome work! 

I just wanted to let you know that I located the ongoing discussion that you have with a member of my team and have passed your comments along to them. 

When you have the chance, please check your inbox for their latest message and don't hesitate to get back to them with any further questions or additional info on this. 

Let us know of any updates!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10
Highlighted

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @kbowman016,

Strange situation.   The application use host api.dropbox.com on port 443. The simplest way to test network access is to enter "https://api.dropbox.com/" in your browser adress line. Everything is fine if you are successfully redirected to "dropbox.com", which ment you have access. Alternative way to check the same is using "telnet api.dropbox.com 443". No usable connection have to be expected, but it's enough some connection to be established (even unusable), which mean - you have access. If I have to bet everything will be fine.

May be the issue root is some broken version installed. Are you sure stable version is in use? Ensure that "Early releases" in your general settings is turned off. What is your current Dropbox version?

Hope this gives some direction.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

@Здравко

Thanks for the reply. I have installed the latest stable version and yet the issue still happens. On the Dropbox folder on my desktop it looks like this:

Edited by moderatorEdited by moderator

I am able to right-click on a folder and assign it local or online only, but under the sync settings in my tab, I still get the issue shown above. 

Highlighted

Hi @kbowman016,

Just for clarity: You are using "Smart Sync", not "Selective Sync". It's not clear still: did you  make sure "Early releases" in your general settings is turned off? If not, the stable release you have installed, automatically will 'update' to beta!

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

@

Yep- "Early releases" is turned off. Smart Sync seems to work, see screenshot above. Selective Sync does not see screenshot from my first post. 

Highlighted

Yes, yes, of course. But "Selective Sync" and "Smart Sync" are mutually exclusive. It's not possible same thing to be deselected in "Smart Sync" and "online only" in "Selective Sync".

Anyway... the message you receive is strange.  Hmm... but you didn't still post you current Dropbox version. Just to sure...

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Highlighted

The two things are very similar things (that's why - mutually exclusive), but not the same. Directory, deselected in "Selective Sync", completely disappear from local host and exist only in cloud server (and probably some other devices). In the "Smart Sync" case it's almost same, but in places of removed files and directories - placeholders are left on local filesystem, so directory tree is still visible for you (even while containing dummy files). That's the difference.

Ok, I'm up to here. I have no more idea what's going on. Sorry.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @kbowman016, thanks for posting your query on the Community and for troubleshooting with @Здравко. Awesome work! 

I just wanted to let you know that I located the ongoing discussion that you have with a member of my team and have passed your comments along to them. 

When you have the chance, please check your inbox for their latest message and don't hesitate to get back to them with any further questions or additional info on this. 

Let us know of any updates!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Well after about a day- it seems to have fixed itself. Everything seems to be working fine now!

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?