cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox no longer starts on HP Elitebook Windows 7

Dropbox no longer starts on HP Elitebook Windows 7

Branton L.
New member | Level 1

Dropbox working perfectly until this week on HP Elitebook running Windows 7.  Now, it doesn't start upon start-up and I cannot manually start it.  Also, the Elitebook no longer shows up on the website as a synced device and my dropbox folder on the Elitebook doesn't have the little green arrow on it. No error messages.  Here's what I've tried:

1. Uninstalled and re-installed Dropbox many times, before and after all workarounds below.  Emptied recycle bin, restarted, etc.

2. Unable to de-link and re-link Elitebook because it no longer shows up as linked.

3. Followed all the instructions in https://www.dropbox.com/help/72 including the "for advanced users" method.

4. No other changes on the Netbook (no new updates, etc.).

Can anybody help?  Thanks!

19 Replies 19

Re: Dropbox no longer starts on HP Elitebook Windows 7

Rick M.
Experienced Collaborator | Level 13

Make sure the email address is correct; try the full/offline installer; and submit a ticket at www.dropbox.com/support

Branton L.
New member | Level 1

Hi Rick.

Thanks for responding.  I'm  sure how to follow your suggestion to verify my email address because I can't open Dropbox on the netbook.  But, my email address has not changed at all and Dropbox was working until last week and it works on all my other devices, Mac and Windows.  I did try the full/offline installer (after first uninstalling the current Dropbox) and no success.  I did submit a ticket a couple of days ago, but no response yet.  I also just did all the Windows updates for Windows 7 and that didn't help either.

Branton L.
New member | Level 1

Meant to say "not" sure how to follow email suggestion.

Rick M.

Using a browser on Elitebook, can you 'sign in" to  www.dropbox.com/home  ?

(Maybe you did sign into the forum from Elitebook?)

Branton L.
New member | Level 1

I went to school this morning where I work and was able to successfully sign into the Dropbox website via Chrome.  I again downloaded and installed the latest version of Dropbox.  The app does show in the programs, but it still won't open (even though it was working for 3 years up until last week).

Rick M.

How do you start/open it? Did you submit a ticket to support?

Branton L.
New member | Level 1

I go to the start menu and the Dropbox app icon shows on the left side.  I click on it, the cursor blinks or spins or something for a second (or less) and then disappears.  Dropbox doesn't start up at all.  It doesn't even seem to start and then quit.  It just seems as though it just doesn't open. I'm pretty sure I also tried right-clicking and then "open" on the icon.

I submitted a ticket on it on Wednesday.  

Rick M.

Run "Taskmgr" and stop all instances of Dropbox.exe then try again. (Some programs will spin but then cannot get the resources because another instance of the program is already running.)

Use "file explorer" and locate the actual location of dropbox.exe and run  it from there.

Branton L.
New member | Level 1

I can't get into the school today, but I will try your suggestions tomorrow and let you know what happens.  Thanks again for working with me on this.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

cs k.1 New member | Level 1
    Steve R.40 New member | Level 1
    Branton L. New member | Level 1
    Rick M. Experienced Collaborator | Level 13
    Douglas F.7 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?