cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox not moving downloads from .dropbox.cache to final directory

Dropbox not moving downloads from .dropbox.cache to final directory

DumbDrop
Explorer | Level 4

I'm running Dropbox basic on three devices, including a Windows 10 laptop and a Windows 7 PC.   The PC mysteriously stopped downloading files, so I tried to diagnose it.   I repeatedly uninstalled/reinstalled Dropbox, deleted the folders, rebooted the computer etc.   Yes, I've got terabytes of free space on the PC.   No, I'm not using selective sync.

I even tried deleting the files off the cloud and re-uploading them.   When I started doing that, I saw something interesting.   As I uploaded each file to the cloud, I would see my laptop download the file, just like it is supposed to.   But on the PC, it would create the final destination folder, but only download the file to the .dropbox.cache folder and just leave it there, file after file.   So the PC ends up with the full directory structure, but for some reason the only files that get moved there are those that are 1KB -- everything larger just stays put in the cache folder.

Any idea what is going on?

3 Replies 3

Re: Dropbox not moving downloads from .dropbox.cache to final directory

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @DumbDrop, thanks for checking in with us!

I'd be more than happy to help look into this. 

As a first step, to make sure that we cover most initial ground, could you check if there's a proxy, VPN, firewall, security app, or even ISP/router hindering traffic to these Dropbox domains?

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

DumbDrop
Explorer | Level 4

OK, that sounded like a great theory, since I do have a blocker app on the PC that isn't on the laptop -- obviously everything worked fine before and I haven't changed any hardware, software, or settings, so it should still be working fine, but you never know for sure what programs do on their own, so I decided to test it.   I cleared the blocker's log and kept an eye on the (now blank) log while I repeated the whole process I did before of deleting a whole directory of stuff on Dropbox and re-uploading it -- but nothing showed up in the log, and once again, the files got downloaded to the cache and just stayed there.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for checking that out for me, @DumbDrop

Hmm. :thinking: Although the logs don't show anything, just for troubleshooting purposes, could temporarily disable the security app you have?

If that doesn't trigger a change in behavior, could it be that you have a different setup for the Dropbox folder, like having it in an external or a network drive?

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?