cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Get summer ready with Dropbox basic - travel documents, plans, progress reminders and more, right over here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox not starting

Dropbox not starting

SamKC
Explorer | Level 4

Good Morning,

I have Dropbox linked to 2 desktops and one laptop. All have been working perfectly for years. One desktop, however, has stopped working (other computers fine) - does not startup on boot up and even manually searching for the app and running it results in the 'thinking icon' then absolutely nothing. I have reinstalled and relinked dropbox - worked for a day or 2 then the same thing happens. I run Win 10 Pro, Norton Internet Security on a Dell XPS 27. This has not been associated with any changes to Windows or Norton. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sam

7 Replies 7

Re: Dropbox not starting

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey SamKC

Thanks for getting in touch on Community about that, glad to assist!

Just to reference, when you say that you receive the 'thinking icon', is it a blank screen? 

Once I have this piece of info, it'll be a pleasure to send over relevant instructions. 

Kind regards, 

JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

SamKC
Explorer | Level 4

Hi JaneA, thanks for your quick reply, I get the circle icon next to the cursor for a little while then it disappears. The computer is otherwise responsive and works normally.

Thanks

Sam

Zed
Dropboxer

Hey @SamKC,

I wanted to follow up with you on this, let's go through some troubleshooting steps together:

1. Temporarily disable any antivirus or security programs on your computer.

2. Reinstall the Dropbox application.

Please let me know if disabling your antivirus fixes it. Me and @Jane will be happy to help!

Thanks!

Zed
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

SamKC
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Zed, yes I have tried this a few times but no joy - I need a new computer anyway so I think this will be the straw that breaks the camel's back!

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey SamKC

I'm determined to figure out a solution with you, though it seems that the case requires hands-on troubleshooting. 

Could you please log a new support request with us, providing us the name of the device you've been having the issue on? Once you do, please reply to me with a ticket ID, so that we work on that with you!

Will be awaiting to hear back from you. 

Kind regards, 

JaneA

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

SamKC
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks JaneA, I appreciate your help but I need a new computer anyway so I'm going to go ahead with that and start with a new fresh install on that new computer

Regards

Sam

Zed
Dropboxer

Hey @SamKC,

Let us know how that goes and we're here if you encounter any issues or problems!

Thank you!

Zed
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Poll
Which Dropbox Plan do you have?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Zed Dropboxer
    SamKC Explorer | Level 4
    Jane Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?