cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox not supported in Windows 10

Dropbox not supported in Windows 10

Abner P.
New member | Level 1

I was using Dropbox for several years without a problem in Windows 7. I upgraded to Windows 10 over the weekend and now my Dropbox does not work.  I have done all of the following with NO success.

• Uninstalled Dropbox through Control Panel

• Reinstalled the latest version of Dropbox 3.8.6

When I attempt to log on the Dropbox Desktop App I get the infinite spinning white circle.  The dropbox icon in the system tray says "Waiting to be linked to a Dropbox account..."  Opening dropbox via the system tray and going to preferences to link/unlink the account shows the button grayed out.

Now that I've tried this a couple of dozen times, I can safely say that Dropbox doesn't work with Windows 10.

Any help?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Aarón__
Dropboxer

Hi Abner,

Dropbox is currently compatible with the new Windows 10, so if in this particular case is not working for you, it could be for a different reason and not for an OS support.

To ensure that the software is working correctly, could you try doing a complete reinstall to try to fix the problem? This will not affect or remove the files in your Dropbox folder.

Please save and quit all programs accessing files in the Dropbox folder, and then follow these instructions:

Note: Please be sure to take note or take a screenshot of any Selective Sync settings you may have applied prior to re-installing in case you need to re-apply these settings upon re-install and then proceed with the following steps:

1) Quit Dropbox:

• Click the Dropbox icon in the system tray at the bottom of your screen.
  • Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel, and select "Quit Dropbox".

2) Uninstall Dropbox by following the steps outlined in our Help Center article:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/41

3) When the uninstall finishes, please reboot your computer to ensure that it is complete.

4) Delete the Dropbox metadata folder:

• Open a Windows File Explorer (not Internet Explorer).
  • Type %LOCALAPPDATA% into the address bar (include the % percent signs).
  • Delete the folder "Dropbox" from the results.
  • If you cannot find a Dropbox folder inside %LOCALAPPDATA%, please go to %APPDATA% instead, and delete the Dropbox folder there.

Please note that deleting the metadata folder will not delete the files in your Dropbox folder.

5) Download and install the newest version of Dropbox by visiting the following website:

https://www.dropbox.com/downloading

6) When Dropbox has finished installing, please apply any Selective Sync settings you may have had prior to the reinstall. Your account will take a few moments to reindex the files and sync any pending changes.

I hope this helps! Please let us know if you have any other questions!

View solution in original post

95 Replies 95

Aarón__
Dropboxer

Hi Abner,

Dropbox is currently compatible with the new Windows 10, so if in this particular case is not working for you, it could be for a different reason and not for an OS support.

To ensure that the software is working correctly, could you try doing a complete reinstall to try to fix the problem? This will not affect or remove the files in your Dropbox folder.

Please save and quit all programs accessing files in the Dropbox folder, and then follow these instructions:

Note: Please be sure to take note or take a screenshot of any Selective Sync settings you may have applied prior to re-installing in case you need to re-apply these settings upon re-install and then proceed with the following steps:

1) Quit Dropbox:

• Click the Dropbox icon in the system tray at the bottom of your screen.
  • Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel, and select "Quit Dropbox".

2) Uninstall Dropbox by following the steps outlined in our Help Center article:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/41

3) When the uninstall finishes, please reboot your computer to ensure that it is complete.

4) Delete the Dropbox metadata folder:

• Open a Windows File Explorer (not Internet Explorer).
  • Type %LOCALAPPDATA% into the address bar (include the % percent signs).
  • Delete the folder "Dropbox" from the results.
  • If you cannot find a Dropbox folder inside %LOCALAPPDATA%, please go to %APPDATA% instead, and delete the Dropbox folder there.

Please note that deleting the metadata folder will not delete the files in your Dropbox folder.

5) Download and install the newest version of Dropbox by visiting the following website:

https://www.dropbox.com/downloading

6) When Dropbox has finished installing, please apply any Selective Sync settings you may have had prior to the reinstall. Your account will take a few moments to reindex the files and sync any pending changes.

I hope this helps! Please let us know if you have any other questions!

View solution in original post

Abner P.
New member | Level 1

Aaron,

I followed your instructions to the "T".  After I downloaded and ran the Dropbox installation, the Dropbox Setup window appeared to log in.  I typed in my credentials and clicked "Continue".  It immediately started to show the white spinning circle as if it is processing the installation.  However, I have been over 2 hours in that same screen and nothing is happening. The Dropbox icon in the system tray still says "Dropbox 3.8.6. Waiting to be linked to a Dropbox account..."  Dropbox was working fine until I upgraded to Windows 10 last weekend.

Thanks,

Abner

Aarón__
Dropboxer

Hi again, Abner,

Would you mind submitting a support request so we can take a closer look at your issue?

You can open a support request from your Dropbox account by visiting the following URL:

https://www.dropbox.com/support

Thanks in advance!

Shekhar M.
New member | Level 1

Hi Abner,

I had also updated my o/s from Win 7 (Home edition) to Win 10 (Home edition). I uploaded some files to dropbox under Win 10 environment. When I check the dropbox folder on another computer working on Win 7 (Professional) where the dropbox account is synced to the same account, I do not see the recently updated files showing.

I have had no problems whatsoever all these years until I changed my o/s to Win 10.

Your advise will be most appreciated. I can follow your instructions of uninstalling-removing meta folder - reinstalling, if you think it's appropriate in my case.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards.

Shekhar Murthy

Abner P.
New member | Level 1

I have opened a support request online.  I will post a resolution if the Dropbox team can reach one.

Thanks,

Abner

Abner P.
New member | Level 1

I entered a support request online.  The Dropboxer told me to try installing Dropbox 3.8.8 build as it solved several connectivity issues.  I installed Dropbox 3.8.8 build and I am still having the same connectivity issue.  The Desktop Setup window comes up initially and asks me to log in.  When I type in my credentials, the Desktop Setup window goes into an spinning white circle infinitely.  After two hours of spinning around I shut down the install. The setup process doesn't complete.  I followed the uninstall procedure outlined here https://www.dropbox.com/help/41.  Please advise.

Sachin S.1
New member | Level 1

Hi,

I'm facing exactly the same issue as Abner P mentioned above after upgrading to Windows 10. I've tried reinstalling both with the offline installer and the standard installer but the same problem persists. Please advise.

Scott G.4
New member | Level 1

Same problem here. Actually had 3.8.5 installed, tried upgrading to 3.8.8 and now I have both of them listed in add/remove programs and I cannot uninstall either. Connectivity shows I haven't connected since the upgrade to Windows 10

Iva U.
New member | Level 1

Ok well it looks like I'll be sitting tight for awhile before upgrading to Windows 10. Most of my work comes from Dropbox. If I lose that, then I'm pretty screwed. Let me know when it works like it's supposed to. 🙂

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Need more support?