cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox not syncing Ubuntu 18.04 LTS dropbox v87.4.138

Dropbox not syncing Ubuntu 18.04 LTS dropbox v87.4.138

JayCnCy
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Dear Community,

I have been using Dropbox for a while on my laptop running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Now, I am using the dropbox client v87.4.148 and the app seems ok apart from the syncing issue.

The logo on the right top corner of the desktop is showing the updating wheel, when I click on it I see syncing and I have the opportunity to stop the sync. However, the folder remains empty.

Anyone has experienced this before ?

And by the way, happy new year !

Best,

JayCnCy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sombrafam
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The hint to remove the syn links worked to me! I have removed all symbolic links and now my folder is syncing again. Thanks!! 

# find the files:
find . -type l

# delete them
find . -type l -exec rm {} \;

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

What shows Nautilus for particular folder and not only? Is there something in process of sync? If the state isn't clear still, you can try unlink and relink back to your account and also try fix possible permission issues there.

ADD: Possible commands to fix some permission issues:

sudo chattr -R -i "$HOME/Dropbox"
sudo chown -R "$USER" "$HOME/Dropbox"
chmod -R u+rw ~/Dropbox

Note that Dropbox folder path point to default position. If you have changed this path, make appropriate corrections above, before run.

JayCnCy
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thank you for your reply.

I did try the following things:

- remove and setup dropbox again

- log out and log in again

- pause/resume syncing

The folder is the default one, nothing seems to change.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @JayCnCy,

Did you execute the above commands? Can you paste, in a code block, the terminal result (together commands and results - if any) in next post? Can you provide a Nautilus screenshot covering particular example of such problematic folder (hide personal info - names and so on)?

JayCnCy
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi @Здравко,

I did execute the indicated commands, and they didn't print any results. By a Nautilus screenshot, do you mean of the scrolling menu ?

Thank you again, it is much appreciated.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @JayCnCy,

Missing results usually "say" no errors. :slight_smile: That's fine. I suppose that you didn't count asking for you password here? (sudo makes such ask)

One more thing which could be checked is symbolic links existence and where they point to:

ls -alR ~/Dropbox | grep " -> "

Ideal variant would be empty result -> no any symbolic links. If there are some, every one has to point inside Dropbox folder. Symbolic link inside Dropbox folder pointing to outside, could lead to syncing issues.

About Nautilus screenshot: On your opinion, a picture where could be seen problematic folder(s)/file(s), whatever you have, and, if possible, nearby well working variants. So, we can compare them, evaluate and go further to next troubleshooting step. Something like, for example:

Screenshot_20200108_175109.png

On above picture could be seen some folder with missing Dropbox emblems. Issue related to shared folders, I have signaled long time ago - many months (near year), but no any solution yet. Catch a similar picture, which best expresses your issue.

JayCnCy
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi @Здравко,

Yes, I indeed exluded the password request associated to sudo 🙂

The command you indicated doesn't print anything.

The Dropbox folder is litterally empty, as I removed all files when I removed dropbox in the uninstall/reinstall procedure.

Thanks again.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Usually Dropbox folder don't have to be removed and all the time I took care to keep your files in safe. In such a case we can apply some "force":

dropbox stop; rm -rf ~/Dropbox ~/.dropbox ~/.dropbox-dist; dropbox start -i

Try the above and let's hope everything will be fine. :wink: Dropbox will asks you again to confirm device connection. You can (and I advise you do it) unlink in advance.

Good luck.

mitti
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks! That helped finally 🙂

richieHH
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

It wouldnt.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post