cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox not uploading/ uploading v slow

Dropbox not uploading/ uploading v slow

jeanzbeanz
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have dropbox installed on multiple devices and they all work fine, except it has suddenly stopped uploading on my windows laptop.

I moved a load of photos off my phone onto dropbox on my laptop last week and only a handful have uploaded.  The icon in my tray says it is syncing 405 files and has 36 minutes left.

It's definitely not a problem with my bandwidth and I have checked the settings to make sure that dropbox isn't set to a low upload speed.  

I have tried pausing sync and restarting, I have tried closing dropbox and re-opening.  I have also tried restarting my laptop and it uploaded 5 files then stopped again.

I am a pro user and have only used 50% of my available space.

Can anyone help?

214 Replies 214

Jeff N.3
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm seeing roughly 50-100 mbps upload speeds on dropbox, on 1000 mbps connection. (Only 5%-10% utilization)

I opened a support case with dropbox, and after 3 weeks of back+forth, investigation, screenshots, and mutliple support reps -- Dropbox has finally acknowledged that I should not expect better upload speeds with their serivce. 

This is a huge dissapointment, but really not that surprising given their large user base. 

AC1962
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have 2x separate Dropbox Pro accounts (personal + work); run from different PC’s but both connected to the same ISP service.

My 1st Dropbox Pro account (personal; Windows 10) contains >600Gb. It was setup about 4mth ago and initial upload was completed within <10days. It has subsequently worked great!

However, I've recently opened a 2nd Dropbox Pro account (work; Windows 7) and have been trying to complete an initial upload of 315Gb for the last 5 weeks. Unbelievably, it’s still not yet complete. My on-line tested ISP upload speed is quite fast, consistently testing out at ~12Mbps over the last 5 weeks. Yet, after the 1st few days Dropbox upload speed reduced significantly, to at worst an average of 0.1Gb per day after initial 10 days, where it then stayed for almost 2 weeks. During this time my PC was left permanently connected and not used – thinking this would help (more fool me). I checked Dropbox help and tried out what was suggested, with virtually no improvement at all. I contacted Dropbox Support, who were frankly useless: at best suggesting I check the same help pages I had already checked; at worst ignoring my emails.

I eventually talked to my ISP who confirmed that my available upload speed was correct and suggested that the most likely source of slow upload speed is that Dropbox are automatically throttling-back on my upload speed, simply because I am currently uploading constantly. Therefore over the last week, I have routinely re-booted my PC each day, gradually increasing the PC down-time and disconnection time from Dropbox. Eureka! the upload speed has significantly increased. Today after a PC down time of 6hrs, Dropbox upload speed increased to >20Gb in ~12hrs. Hopefully, once initial upload is complete (only 18Gb left) this 2nd Dropbox Pro account will perform similar to my 1st account.

I hope my above experience may help others.

AC1962
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Following on from my previous message. After some further testing I now believe that Dropbox Pro initial upload/download speeds can dramatically slow-down if any of your file paths are too long: i.e. exceed Window limit of 255 characters.

My 'work' Dropbox Pro account did have several file paths that exceeded the 255 limit. Mainly due to imported nested folders and descriptive, but long, file names.

An easy way to check and resolve this issue is to: download TLPD – really simple portable free software; run TLPD to check you drives for file paths >255 characters; if any found, manually edit all excessive file paths to be <255 characters. Ideally, do this before initial Dropbox upload/download to 1st PC.

Also, as before, reboot PC once every 24hrs until initial upload/download is complete.

I hope the above is of help to others.

MarkLee
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Had this problem with Dropbox years ago. Our company had to cancel Business plan because of slow speeds. Now several years later we try to give Dropbox a chance. But no, the problem is still there. All other cloud services upload at 2-5 MByte/s. Dropbox uploads at 70 KByte/s (sometimes picking at 2 MByte/s for only a couple of secs). 😂 Gonna cancel again.

Jeff N.3
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Yep, unfortunately I still have this problem as well. I get ~100mbit/s on Dropbox, and I typically get anywhere from 500-700mbit/s on google drive. Unforunately, I still need to use dropbox because there are other features I rely on. 

I had a 5 week game of ping-pong going with dropbox support before they finally gave up and said, in not so many words "We don't know what is wrong, but you are getting an 'acceptable' level of service, so we can't help you"

Such is how it goes, I guess. 

I'm sure someone, somewhere at dropbox knows what the issue is, but it isn't something they want to disclose to the public. Guess I just have to keep waiting for their tech to catch up...

Zed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @jeanzbeanz,

Can you please try refreshing your Dropbox installation on your device by running the installer from here ?

This could resolve this.

Let me know if it works, I'll be around to help!

Zed
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

jeanzbeanz
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond!  

I have tried your suggestion and ONE photo uploaded... and unfortunately it seems to be stuck again 😞

Any other ideas?

Jeff N.3
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
This is the first time I have seen Dropbox publicly acknowledge the issue and announce plans to fix it!

https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/19/dropbox-announces-massive-network-expansion/

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey  jeanzbeanz

Thanks for the follow-up! 

I can see that you’ve troubleshooting with a coleeague via ticket and they has replied to you there. At your convenience, could you check your inbox for this message and let me know if you have any issues locating their message, so that I make sure that you receive it again?

Hope this gets resolved soon! 

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

meljaxx
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This fixed my problem!!

Need more support?