cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox not uploading/ uploading v slow

Dropbox not uploading/ uploading v slow

jeanzbeanz
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have dropbox installed on multiple devices and they all work fine, except it has suddenly stopped uploading on my windows laptop.

I moved a load of photos off my phone onto dropbox on my laptop last week and only a handful have uploaded.  The icon in my tray says it is syncing 405 files and has 36 minutes left.

It's definitely not a problem with my bandwidth and I have checked the settings to make sure that dropbox isn't set to a low upload speed.  

I have tried pausing sync and restarting, I have tried closing dropbox and re-opening.  I have also tried restarting my laptop and it uploaded 5 files then stopped again.

I am a pro user and have only used 50% of my available space.

Can anyone help?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey walwar

Let me send over some more details and tips to determine the cause!

• For starters, you may have a look here for some steps to adjust your bandwidth locally. 
  • Secondly, you could try force quitting all other applications and see if this helps improving your syncing speed. 
  • Also, let me ask you whether you’re in a work or home environment. 
  • You could use the link below to check your connection speed through your ISP and local network by using the following link: http://www.speedtest.net/

I’ll be following-up here, so please keep me updated in your reply! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

214 Replies 214

Douglas S.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have a 5MB upload hard wired internet. Yet when I upload large files using my desktop application, I'm only getting 10-66kb transfer speeds. Why so slow? My ISP has checked and found nothing wrong with my service. Is Dropbox "throttling back" my upload speed? There are no other devises being used that would reduce band width. Please help!

Neil K.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Have you checked the bandwidth settings in the Dropbox preferences of the desktop app?

Douglas S.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Yes. There are no limits on how much bandwidth is used or KB uploaded. I still have not received any response from Dropbox. I tried Google Drive and it was much faster.

Ken O.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same problem here. 10 MB up shown on speedtest.net. Other services like crash plan will take advantage of the full available upload speed, but dropbox stays around 1700 kb max with no limit and all apps closed.

Tugrul N.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

i have the same problem... i'm using the last version of desktop client and i'm really started to think that i need to change my strorage service, because dropbox can't upload a 10 mb photo in 10 minutes... amazing...

Douglas S.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I found that there is a difference in "upload" speed, and "sync" speed. I was dragging files into my Dropbox folder located on my hard drive and found slow "sync" speeds. When I uploaded the file directly to Dropbox via a web browser the speeds were significantly faster. I am supprised that Dropbox tech support didn't ask me about this. I had to find out on my own. So better speeds, not so good tech support.

Jocelyn R.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Dropbox speed sucks... PERIOD and there is nothing you can do about it. Yes, web upload are faster but I have a 175Mbps connection and get no where near 10% of that speed when uploading even with my pro account.

Just be patient 😉

sr9yar
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

same problem.
this is unbearable. 8gb in 7days! is it for real? it's faster to send them via dhl in a pendrive

Justin D.14
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I just upgraded to pro since I don't like any of the other services and I have been using dropbox for years. Now I'm disappointed because I'm uploading at 100kb/s. As mentioned, it would be faster to just mail them a drive...

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

hpzzep Helpful | Level 5
    Kennyjee New member | Level 2
    Jane Dropbox Staff
    walwar Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?