cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox not uploading/ uploading v slow

Dropbox not uploading/ uploading v slow

jeanzbeanz
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have dropbox installed on multiple devices and they all work fine, except it has suddenly stopped uploading on my windows laptop.

I moved a load of photos off my phone onto dropbox on my laptop last week and only a handful have uploaded.  The icon in my tray says it is syncing 405 files and has 36 minutes left.

It's definitely not a problem with my bandwidth and I have checked the settings to make sure that dropbox isn't set to a low upload speed.  

I have tried pausing sync and restarting, I have tried closing dropbox and re-opening.  I have also tried restarting my laptop and it uploaded 5 files then stopped again.

I am a pro user and have only used 50% of my available space.

Can anyone help?

214 Replies 214

chris b.45
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Wow Tomas, do you live next door to a data center? All I know is that I'm still trying to upload the same ever increasing server backups at 109kb/sec

Suzanne P.12
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

95kb/sec here and 31 days left to synch - darn I shouldn't have taken any photos last week!

Tomas W.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Well, I think it's possible that I'm connecting to a totally different Amazon cluster from Sweden. It may also be that we (in sweden) have a very fast connection to many of the core nodes of internet. And it was not just luck, I have tried it again several times now and the speed is 3.5 - 5.5 MB/s.  If my upload speed was anywhere near your figures (< 500 kb/s) I would be furious and immediately terminate my account.  I hope they will sort it out for you.

Jocelyn R.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Tomas,

it has been discussed many times. This has nothing to do with connection speed.  I also have a crazy fast internet (1Gbps now) with super low latency and it's still a crappy service worth shit to me!

Also, this has nothing to do with Amazon itself.  It's probably Dropbox oversubscribing as much as they can so we all get 100Kbps upload speed here in America (I'm in Canada BTW).

So perhaps nobody uses Sweden uses Dropbox (I would understand why) and Dropbox has a node right where you live!  

Anyway, enjoy your fast upload speed while we all suffer over here 😉

Dan T.12
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Wow! Glad I found this thread.

I was ready to seriously considering a Pro DropBox account but it really is rubbish!! I had a folder that was only 2.5mb and it is transferring at a rate of about 7kb/sec so the rest of you should feel better. <grin>

Same exact folder sync'd in seconds to another service vs about 10min to Dropbox!
I really did not expect this. DropBox is not an option.

And my DropBox version is 3.10.8 with tested UL speed of 10,000KB/s (to put it relative to Dropbox performance)

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Remember that the speed that Dropbox reports does not represent just the file transfer speed. Each file is hashed, compressed, transferred, encrypted, and stored on the servers. That entire process is included in the aggregate kB/s speed that's displayed in the Dropbox sync status.

Karan G.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

It took me 40 minutes to upload 20 MB of low-quality iPhone photos. That's like 0.5 MB per minute! I've set my upload rate to "Unlimited", so that isn't the problem.

All I wanted to do was share a couple of photos with a friend. In that time, I could have driven there and back... Or I could have just emailed the files instead. I also attempted to upload some high-quality travel photos earlier this month, but gave up completely when I realised that it would take 3 days.

I used to use Dropbox a lot in the past. Two years ago, your upload speeds were pretty decent, and I didn't really have any problems at all. Now, I really see no point in using this service when there are better alternatives (including postage, as someone stated earlier!).

Suzanne P.12
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Just wanted to say I am in a hotel in London atm and Dropbox is uploading at 3229 kb/sec - which is quite a change from my usual 95kb/sec at home near Edinburgh. To use Dropbox effectively I need to move to a hotel in London!

Steven C.10
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am syncing a backup of 400 gigabytes.

My connection is 50mbps upload speed. I get this or darn near close to it when speed testing the line over and over. 

I noticed that dropbox stopped giving me an ETA and so I restarted the dropbox and after it indexed it would have a speed of around 700 kbps, and 2 days left to sync.

Then i notice 50 kbps and 41 days to sync.

I have been using a pro account since the samsung promotion I was on ended, but why am I even doing this with dropbox? I have a pretty decent tech background, so I knew to ensure my firewall was open and that there was nothing in the settings of the app to throttle itself before even researching it.

Now all I can see is that it will take as long as it darn well pleases I guess, which is a shame because I have to wonder if this is the same with all other services.

Surely this has to have a solution, but i cannot find it anywhere.

it literally was at 20k and 95 days remaining at one point.

NOT ACCEPTABLE.

D O.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

It's a Sunday evening, which, while I would rather not be working, I thought would be a good time to upload a 200 MB file. I figured it would take a few minutes. I've been waiting for an hour and it's just halfway done. This is RIDICULOUS. I could have created an FTP site and uploaded it for the customer in far less time, but the customer uses Dropbox, and I wanted to follow suit.

^ That's not the worst part of it. The worst part is that I cannot use my computer while it's uploading to Dropbox. It uses all the resources available, to the point where a simple Google Search takes about 4 minutes to load.  So I can't even do other work while it's uploading.  (Loading this webpage and trying to send this note has taken me about 14 minutes. It's as if the Internet froze.)

I hate to say it, but it's acting as if it were uploading files that I'm not asking it to sync behind the scenes.  I wish I could monitor the traffic as I upload to DropBox. 

I'm grateful for this thread, as I thought I might suddenly have a virus on my computer.

I am near Boston in the USA.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

hpzzep Helpful | Level 5
    Kennyjee New member | Level 2
    Jane Dropbox Staff
    walwar Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?