cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox not working in MacOS High Sierra

Dropbox not working in MacOS High Sierra

wkyandy
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

After updating to MacOS High Sierra 10.13, my dropbox on my Macbook Air start not syncing.  Then I tried to uninstall and then install the dropbox again.  However, when i press the dropbox icon after installation, it doesn't work at all and nothing happened.  I tried the above procedures for few times and still nothing come out though I successfully install it. The dropbox even not showing on the menu bar or in finder box.   

Any suggestions?  

47 Replies 47

dbanks
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It seems there were some solutions that worked but it wasn't clear from the posts which did and did not. I was able to get mine to work again. It was as simple as downloading and installing the app again. I did not have to remove my folders or the old app. It updated the app and immediately after the update was complete, my files began to sync again. I hope this solution is more helpful. Here is a link to the install.

https://www.dropbox.com/install

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
The trend I’ve seen so far in this thread is that users are reinstalling the Dropbox desktop application and the app works again. Then again, it doesn’t work, and Terminal commands work.

And then again, they don’t.

Since we don’t have these issues here, I can only speculate that perhaps installing an update for High Sierra somehow overwrites certain permissions or handles, making the Dropbox app stop working. Perhaps this is why reinstalling it is working sometimes since the correct Dropbox permissions return.

However there’s no way for me to check from my end here. Each user’s machine is different also, as even the exact same version of OS X could have different configuration for a plethora of apps, settings, and so on.

We’d highly recommend that if you’re still experiencing the same issue, to write to us directly so our support team can troubleshoot directly:

https://www.dropbox.com/support/email/dropbox_app/submit

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ChrisBln
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi there, 

I have the problem that my dropbox is still downloading all documents, but doesn't upload any. We use dropbox for business in our company and actually I'm the only one, who has this problem (iMac 27" late 2012, High Sierra 10.13.3). On my MacBook (Sierra, not High Sierra) it works fine. 

I tried everything, which was mentioned in this thread, but I got an error with your solution. I have two Dropbox Accounts (private and business) on the mac, there are name "Dropbox (Private)" and "Dropbox (SSE)". When I use the commands you wrote, I get errors "no file in that directory". When I change the path as mentioned in the screenshot attached (in German), I get an syntax error in the terminal: bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

I would be very glad, if there is a solution for this. At the moment I have 300 files, which are in the queue for uploading and this is very disturbing for our business and especially for me. Thanks a lot in advance!

Bildschirmfoto 2018-02-08 um 23.17.14.png

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @ChrisBln, welcome to our community! 

I think it would be better to put you in touch with our support team. You can submit a ticket here, and one of our agents can do some more account-specific troubleshooting with you. You’ll also have the option of having your case handled by one of our German-language support agents, if you’d like. 

In the meantime, I noticed a discrepancy in your screenshot. The first paragraph is part of an instruction set for an Advanced Reinstall, but the commands you’ve listed are from another procedure. The latter is part of an entirely different process, for fixing permissions on some of your files that may be set incorrectly. When our support team sends you these instructions, they are edited to match your specific case, if it is determined that there is a mismatch in your Dropbox folder path. This is something that our support team will handle, once they’ve had a chance to take a look at your account’s details.

I hope I’ve made sense here :wink:

Have a great weekend! 

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

patriciaB
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I followed your suggestion... CRICKETS! from Dropbox except to send me dropbox installation instructions!!!! 

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @patriciaB

Have you gone through the advanced reinstall process? Also, let me know your ticket number, if you’d like, and I’ll check in on your case. 

Thanks!

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

vfrrjq
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the very same issue!

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there, what steps from this thread have you followed?

Could you include them in the next post and any alternative behavior when opening the app, and then what you expect to happen!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    vfrrjq New member | Level 2
    Sanchez Dropbox Staff
    patriciaB Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?