cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox not working on mac

Dropbox not working on mac

Peruru
Explorer | Level 3

Hello lovely people,

Dropbox stopped syncing last about last week and never connected since. I tried opening the app but it keeps giving me this permission error. I tried doing what the help page says but when i go to my terminal and input the first line of code terminal tells me file cannot be found. It is in the default location and i am lost. 

After that i tried to uninstall and install again but the exact same permission error appears.. I also tried the advanced installation but again, exact same error.

Btw, how do i attach an image? 

9 Replies 9

Re: Dropbox not working on mac

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @Peruru, I'd be more than happy to have a look into this with you. 

I'll just need a copy of the error log so as to have a better understanding of the issue at hand. 

If you'd like to send me a screenshot of it, you can attach an image by clicking on one of these options:

Attaching an image.jpg

Keep me posted, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Peruru
Explorer | Level 3

Hello @Lusil,

For some reason i do not have the Photos and Video option.. After the Insert/edit link is Numbered list icon.. I'm using a 2013 Macbook Pro OS High Sierra.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @Peruru

If you're having trouble copy-pasting the error log, could you send me the screenshot via a shared link

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Peruru
Explorer | Level 3

@Lusil This is the permission error i keep getting after it fails to start. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12wV8LidupkROGsHlLIxLFzopJm8dj70x/view?usp=sharing 

I followed instructions in the section "Permission errors" and "access denied" error via this link:

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/stuck-syncing 

Upon the first line entered into Terminal:

sudo chflags -R nouchg ~/Dropbox ~/.dropbox ~/.dropbox-master 

It mentions no such file of directory. But my dropbox is in the default location.

I tried uninstalling and using the advanced download to no avail. Same perission error persists.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshot! 

Could you click on the hyperlink that appears on the error message and copy-paste in your next reply the error log that comes up?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Peruru
Explorer | Level 3
bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 100.4.409
bn.constants.WINDOWS_SHELL_EXT_VERSION: 40
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: 43849dc8-9e3a-55c8-acfd-9089dcdcc0c7
pid: 834
ppid: 1
uid: 501
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='xCatT', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Pearlynn Tan', pw_dir='/Users/xCatT', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='xCatT', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Pearlynn Tan', pw_dir='/Users/xCatT', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
euid: 501
gid: 20
egid: 20
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: '/'
     real_path='/'
            mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
     parent mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: '/Users/xCatT'
appdata: '/Users/xCatT/.dropbox/instance1'
         real_path='/Users/xCatT/.dropbox/instance1'
                mode=0o40700 uid=501 gid=20
         parent mode=0o40755 uid=501 gid=20
dropbox_path: '/Users/xCatT/Dropbox'
              real_path='/Users/xCatT/Dropbox'
sys_executable: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
                real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
                      mode=0o100755 uid=501 gid=20
trace.__file__: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
                real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
                      not found
                parent not found
tempdir: '/var/folders/z4/f0ps9dfj04z2l114417x0dlw0000gn/T'
         real_path='/private/var/folders/z4/f0ps9dfj04z2l114417x0dlw0000gn/T'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 799, in wrapper
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6653, in finish_dropbox_boot
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6092, in _init_components_for_account
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6043, in create_sync_engine
  File "dropbox/sync_engine_boundary/factory.pyc", line 280, in make_sync_engine
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/sync_engine.pyc", line 375, in __init__
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/thin_adapter/in_proc.pyc", line 252, in __init__
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/thin_adapter/in_proc.pyc", line 606, in _init_new_engine_locked
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/thin_client/client.pyc", line 146, in __init__
  File "extensions/nucleus/nucleus_python.pyx", line 84, in nucleus_python.NucleusSyncEngine.__cinit__
nucleus_python.SyncEngineError: Initializing engine |>> Initializing filesystem |>> Attempting to register icons |>> Reading existing xattr |>> fgetxattr syscall: fill buffer |>> I/O error

Lusil
Dropboxer

It seems like it's reporting an Operational disk I/O error, which generally means that it can't read from your hard drive and that there's an underlying hardware issue.

Although you can try a simple reinstall of the desktop app to see if that does the trick, I'd highly recommend that you have your hard drive backed up and checked by a professional. 

You can learn how to check your hard disk for errors, here

Let me know how it goes or if you have any other questions - thanks!

PS. If you're on a Basic (free) account, note that there's a three device limit and you'll have to make sure that you've got less than three devices connected to proceed.

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Peruru
Explorer | Level 3

Hello @Lusil 

So i have contacted apple support and they mentioned that it may be because i was still using the old OS - High sierra, i have updated it to the latest macOS - Catalina.

I removed dropbox before i did the OS update and have just reintsalled dropbox from here https://www.dropbox.com/desktop.

After installing it, i ran the programme and it tried to start up for some time (about 5 mins) and an error message appeared.

drop box error.png

When i clicked on the link it shows this in text edit (note):

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 103.4.383
bn.constants.WINDOWS_SHELL_EXT_VERSION: 44
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: 43849dc8-9e3a-55c8-acfd-9089dcdcc0c7
pid: 3567
ppid: 1
uid: 501
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='xCatT', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Pearlynn Tan', pw_dir='/Users/xCatT', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='xCatT', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Pearlynn Tan', pw_dir='/Users/xCatT', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
euid: 501
gid: 20
egid: 20
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', 'xCatT', 'xCatTadmin', 'postgres', '_xcsbuildagent', '_xcscredserver'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', 'xCatT', 'xCatTadmin', 'postgres', '_xcsbuildagent', '_xcscredserver'])
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: '/'
     real_path='/'
            mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=80
     parent mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=80
HOME: '/Users/xCatT'
appdata: '/Users/xCatT/.dropbox/instance1'
         real_path='/Users/xCatT/.dropbox/instance1'
dropbox_path: '/Users/xCatT/Dropbox'
              real_path='/Users/xCatT/Dropbox'
sys_executable: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
                real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
                      mode=0o100755 uid=501 gid=20
trace.__file__: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
                real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
                      not found
                parent not found
tempdir: '/var/folders/z4/f0ps9dfj04z2l114417x0dlw0000gn/T'
         real_path='/private/var/folders/z4/f0ps9dfj04z2l114417x0dlw0000gn/T'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 794, in wrapper
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6534, in finish_dropbox_boot
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 5998, in _init_components_for_account
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 5949, in create_sync_engine
  File "dropbox/sync_engine_boundary/factory.pyc", line 269, in make_sync_engine
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/sync_engine.pyc", line 380, in __init__
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/thin_adapter/in_proc.pyc", line 220, in __init__
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/thin_adapter/in_proc.pyc", line 574, in _init_new_engine_locked
  File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/thin_client/client.pyc", line 150, in __init__
  File "extensions/nucleus/nucleus_python.pyx", line 84, in nucleus_python.NucleusSyncEngine.__cinit__
nucleus_python.SyncEngineError: "Initializing engine |>> Initializing filesystem |>> Attempting to register icons |>> Reading existing xattr |>> fgetxattr syscall: fill buffer |>> I/O error"

My dropbox is in the default location. Please advice what i may do to get it up and running.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey again, @Peruru

Since the I/O error persists even after you updating your OS, it could be that the issue lies with your hardware.

You can try an advanced reinstall, but if that doesn't do the trick, I'd highly recommend backing your hard drive up and checking with a professional. 

Again, please bear in mind that if you're on a Basic (free) account, you'll have to make sure that you've got less than three devices connected to proceed, since there's a three device limit.

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropboxer
    Peruru Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?