cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox not working on new (but older) computer

Dropbox not working on new (but older) computer

Ymoni
Helpful | Level 5

I had to move some computers and the computer I now use at my desk doesn't seem to want to let me sign in to Dropbox. I've been part of a business team for a long time, but it won't let me link my account.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox not working on new (but older) computer

Ymoni
Helpful | Level 5

I have hopefully solved this problem through 2 hours of INDEPENDENT research. You might have to go into your Dropbox Properties and turn off Compatibility Mode. So far this has fixed my problem. 

Open your start window > search Dropbox and right-click to open list > click properties (you might need an Admin password)> go into compatibility tab and click to turn off Compatibility Mode. > Apply and restart your computer > reopen Dropbox and Login

Hopefully, this helps anyone who has been having the same problem. 

I also want to say Dropbox should ask their customers who are submitting tickets for this same issue to check this right off the bat instead of making them go through over an hour of run around. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @Ymoni; welcome to our Community and sorry to hear you're having issues with using our desktop application on your new (but older) computer.

Can you please elaborate on what's exactly happening on your end so I can advise further? Is an antivirus or firewall acting up perhaps?

If you could provide screenshots of the errors you might possibly be getting, I'd appreciate it. 

While we're at it, what's the device's OS? Is it a Windows machine or a Mac one? 

Let me know what you find!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Ymoni
Helpful | Level 5

Dropbox Login Start.jpgGood morning Walter! I have attached screenshots of what I see when trying to login to my account on the downloaded dropbox on my windows computer. I have no problem logging into my account on the Dropbox website. 

Dropbox Login.JPG

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshots @Ymoni!

Following the wording on the error message you get, could you let me know if this device is running on a supported environment as per the following Help Center?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Ymoni
Helpful | Level 5

I am quite confused about what I am looking for by following the link you provided. I see that my computer is running on Windows 7 and clicked each attached link under Windows 7 sub-area. Microsoft says they are no longer supporting Windows 7 meaning I cannot update my computer anymore. Would this mean Dropbox App is no longer compatible with my version of Windows 7? Dropbox Windows Check.JPG

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshot @Ymoni!

I'm not quite sure what could be going wrong here, but since our most recent, stable version just came out, could you give it a go using the offline installer and let me know if you still get this error?

Thanks a bunch!  

Walter
dropbox.com/support

ljcrespo
New member | Level 2

Good day, we have the same error message (... not compatible ..), even after installing version 98.4.158.
The problem started in one of the "automatic" updates.
Windows 7 SP1 is 100% updated.
It was tested by installing version 69.4.102, but on startup it was "automatically" upgraded to version 97.4.467 and the incompatibility issue continues.
NOD32 Antivirus was disabled.Ordenador no es compatible ....jpg

Ymoni
Helpful | Level 5

I have hopefully solved this problem through 2 hours of INDEPENDENT research. You might have to go into your Dropbox Properties and turn off Compatibility Mode. So far this has fixed my problem. 

Open your start window > search Dropbox and right-click to open list > click properties (you might need an Admin password)> go into compatibility tab and click to turn off Compatibility Mode. > Apply and restart your computer > reopen Dropbox and Login

Hopefully, this helps anyone who has been having the same problem. 

I also want to say Dropbox should ask their customers who are submitting tickets for this same issue to check this right off the bat instead of making them go through over an hour of run around. 

ljcrespo
New member | Level 2

Ymoni, good night, I tried it and you are correct. Thank you very much for sharing your effort and dedication to the case. Thank you!! for your contribution.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ljcrespo New member | Level 2
    Ymoni Helpful | Level 5
    Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?