cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox notification that I edited a file - I didnt.

Dropbox notification that I edited a file - I didnt.

Chrissy I.
New member | Level 1

Im very new to Dropbox.  I shared a folder last week with an expiration date.  Sharing is now expired but I got a notification this morning that a file in that folder had been edited.  I went to "events" and it says I edited it.  I did not.  Whats happening here?

7 Replies 7

Re: Dropbox notification that I edited a file - I didnt.

DaveC2
New member | Level 1

Software on the device listed as the editor edited the file, They dont mean you personally.

Chrissy I.
New member | Level 1

Thank you.  So even though the folder is no longer sharing (expired), the person can still edit the doc that is in my dropbox?

DaveC2
New member | Level 1

Its your folder, the life of the link has nothing to do with if YOU can edit the files.

Chrissy I.
New member | Level 1

I didnt edit anything though.  I didnt know go into any files in my drop box folder and edit anything. And no one else has access to that file. Im sorry for not understanding what you are saying.  So who did the editing?

DaveC2
New member | Level 1

Your computer edited one of the files, I dont know why.

Simon F.9
New member | Level 1

Hi - Repeatedly when I go into an excel file in our DropBox when I come out (without having made any changes - only viewed) , it says the file has been edited. Similarly if I'm viewing a file when someone else is viewing it and come out without making any changes again it says I edited and creates a conflict copy. All I do when I am in the file is view, scroll, flip between tabs but not do anything else, and I definitely do not save.

Any suggestions folks,

Simon

Mark
Super User II

it shows up as having been edited

Because you have actually edited it I'm afraid. 

The meta data of the file has been updated (last opened/edited/modified etc.) as well as the information on which cell has been last selected. 

If you want that altering you need to speak to Microsoft over how they handle read only file changes. 

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    Simon F.9 New member | Level 1
    DaveC2 New member | Level 1
    Chrissy I. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?