cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox on Debian Sid Terminates - Python Problem?

Dropbox on Debian Sid Terminates - Python Problem?

maymage
Explorer | Level 3

Hi all,

so I'm running dropbox on Debian Sid .. I'm not sure, when exactly, but Dropbox stops working. Here the terminal output

```

~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd -d
dropbox: locating interpreter
dropbox: logging to /tmp/dropbox-antifreeze-ZJePMx
dropbox: initializing
dropbox: initializing python 3.8.8
dropbox: setting program path '/home/martin/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-123.4.4832/dropbox'
dropbox: setting python path '/home/martin/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-123.4.4832:/home/martin/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-123.4.4832/python-packages.zip'
dropbox: python initialized
dropbox: setting args
dropbox: running dropbox
dropbox: applying overrides
dropbox: enabling allocator metrics
dropbox: running command
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/martin/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-123.4.4832/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._openssl.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/martin/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-123.4.4832/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._padding.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/martin/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-123.4.4832/psutil._psutil_linux.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/martin/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-123.4.4832/psutil._psutil_posix.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/martin/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-123.4.4832/apex._apex.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/martin/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-123.4.4832/tornado.speedups.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/martin/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-123.4.4832/wrapt._wrappers.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/martin/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-123.4.4832/PyQt5.QtWidgets.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/martin/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-123.4.4832/PyQt5.QtCore.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/martin/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-123.4.4832/PyQt5.QtGui.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/martin/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-123.4.4832/PyQt5.QtDBus.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
Speicherzugriffsfehler

```

Speicherzugriffsfehler means segmentation fault. Of course I've tried reinstalling as suggested from

```

https://www.dropbox.com/install-linux

```

but to no avail, but for sure I'm up to date

```

dropbox version
Dropbox daemon version: 123.4.4832
Dropbox command-line interface version: 2020.03.04

```

Here the installed python-qt5  version

```python3-pyqt5/unstable,unstable,now 5.15.2+dfsg-3 amd64 ```

if that helps. Also the `/tmp` doesn't really help

```

dropbox: logging to /tmp/dropbox-antifreeze-11qbhf
dropbox: initializing
dropbox: initializing python 3.8.8
dropbox: setting program path '/home/martin/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-123.4.4832/dropbox'
dropbox: setting python path '/home/martin/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-123.4.4832:/home/martin/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-123.4.4832/python-packages.zip'
dropbox: python initialized
dropbox: setting args
dropbox: running dropbox
dropbox: applying overrides
dropbox: enabling allocator metrics
dropbox: running command

```

and dropbox doesn't provide a `-d` option, so I don't know, what to do.

7 Replies 7

Re: Dropbox on Debian Sid Terminates - Python Problem?

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hi @maymage, let's see what we can do about this.

Can you check this article, to see if you have the minimum system requirements, correct configurations and are running Dropbox on a supported setup?

Let me know what you find!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

maymage
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Hannah,

apart from me running Debian Sid, not Ubuntu nor Fedora, the minimum requirements are satisfied.

Actually Dropbox had been working fine until a few days or at most weeks ago - that's why I'm suspecting a dependency issue from me updating.  Also, as Ubuntu is based on Debian Sid, that issue could also hit Ubuntu Daily builds sooner or later

Anyway in detail

* file system ext4

* Intel Celeron Silver

* Dropbox daemon version: 123.4.4832
* Dropbox command-line interface version: 2020.03.04

* gtk3 3.24.24-4

* glibc 2.31

* gnome-shell 3.38.4

* nautilus 3.38.2

Adding, because of the seg fault

* python3-pyqt5 5.15

Hannah
Dropboxer
Thanks for the update on this!

Can you maybe try an advanced reinstall of the Dropbox application, to see if that helps?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

maymage
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Hannah 

so I tried the advanced reinstall as suggested - even twice.

Here my findings:

• The uninstall went well.
  • Installing then the latest deb package for debian from here via `dpkg -i` failed due to unmet dependency (dropbox missing)
  • likewise for the tar+configure+make+make install failed due to unmet dependency (libnautilus-extension missing), which on debian/ubuntu is called `libnautilus-extension1a`
  • reinstalling from the debian sid repository via `sudo apt install dropbox-nautilus` was successful and the installation proceeded - files were synced correctly. After reboot however dropbox did not autostart and after starting from terminal `dropbox start`, we're back at my first post: dropbox terminates after a few seconds.

I hope, that helps..

mpmay
New member | Level 2

Hi, 

I also have the same problem on a fresh install 

maymage
Explorer | Level 3

Hi@Hannah 

so I changed my GNOME  session from  wayland  to  xorg ... and magically dropbox works and keeps working correctly.

The issue is also reproducible changing to and fro

*  dropbox runs correctly on xorg

*  segfaults on wayland

Hannah
Dropboxer

Thanks for the update, @maymage! This is very interesting info and happy to see that your Dropbox is operational once again.

@mpmay did you also try the above, to see if it helps in your case?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropboxer
    maymage Explorer | Level 3
    mpmay New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?