cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox on Internal, but not the OS, Drive

Dropbox on Internal, but not the OS, Drive

DaveLeeNC
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

It is becoming quite common these days for new systems to come with a smallish SSD drive intended to host the OS and a separate (internal) drive for data. At https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/move-dropbox-folder Dropbox recommends that 

• Use the same hard drive: If you decide to move the folder, choose a location on the same hard drive as your operating system. Dropbox won't work correctly if the Dropbox folder becomes inaccessible, which can happen if it's located on an external drive that gets disconnected.

Given the design of many modern Windows 10 systems that is a very serious limitation. Is this still the recommendation from Dropbox? I would think that Dropbox developers would have addressed this (or it is an in-plan item).  The quoted statement kind of leaves the 'internal but not OS drive' question unaddressed. 

Thanks.

dave

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox does play nicely with second internal drives... thats very badly worded that document. I always had my Dropbox folder on a separate D:\ drive when I used Windows. However, its right that it doesnt play nicely with external drives and that should be avoided. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox does play nicely with second internal drives... thats very badly worded that document. I always had my Dropbox folder on a separate D:\ drive when I used Windows. However, its right that it doesnt play nicely with external drives and that should be avoided. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

DaveLeeNC
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Mark, thanks for the clearly stated explanation. dave 

markasaurus
New member | Level 2

This is not only a windows issue. I'm a Mac user and I have the same exact problem. The OS drive is managed by my company, and the only way to have my own files is with an internal hard drive. Back up is basically useless without being able to back up a internal drive that isn't the OS Drive. I can't believe the dropbox cannot solve this issue.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

markasaurus New member | Level 2
    DaveLeeNC Helpful | Level 7
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?