cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox on MacBook and selective sync

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have dropbox on my macbook pro. It shows in finder with all the files, but if I click the app, nothing happens. My desire is to instill selective sync. I want to be able to have dropbox but I don't need it taking up space on my laptop. I'm okay with it being on just dropbox itself, and not my computer. I use it more for my iphone to auto upload/sync. Help! I can't find a way to turn on selective sync and delete dropbox from my computer safely without accidentaly deleting all of my saved files on dropbox. I just want it off my computer. Thanks!

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox on MacBook and selective sync

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there, it sounds like you’re trying to open the Dropbox app from the Applications folder. 

You’ll need to instead access the preferences from the menu bar icon above, then the gear icon and Sync in order to see the options for selective sync.

Gear icon - Mac.png

If you have any questions about this, let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Nothing happens when I click on the icon for dropbox. Nothing opens. If I click it, there is nothing on top for me to select preferences, it continues to only have a toolbar for Finder instead, so i'm unable to select preferences. I have force quit, uninstalled, and re-installed dropbox and still have the same problem. I really just need selective sync because dropbox files are taking up space on my computer and I'm out of storage. My mac is now working very slowly too. There are files that can stay on dropbox, that I don't need on my computer. Help!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
I get the impression that you’re running the Dropbox desktop app by opening the physical app from the Applications folder.

If this is the case, then you’ll need to check the menu bar for the actual options, like so:

Gear icon - Mac.png

Let me know if this is correct.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?