cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox on Windows 10 Crashing repeatadly

Explorer | Level 4

Two days agao dropbox crashed. After following instructions and reistalling the problem still occurs. Once dropbox logs in, immediately the mouse hovers over the icon it shuts down. This happends on both my (different make) running different windows updates. I have tried another User account but still not working. Also updated Windows to no avail.

This is causing me much wasted time.

Have raise Ticket #9140440: Dropbox Support Chat  but no solution found.

13 Replies 13
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox on Windows 10 Crashing repeatadly

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there Michael - sorry to hear about this.

I've found your ticket on our system and passed your comments there so we can have all the relevant information under the same email chain. As it's currently being handled by a higher level technician, I'd suggest to wait for an update from them.

In the meantime, I was wondering if you've installed the desktop app on those profiles you mentioned with admin privileges. If not, you could follow these steps:

1. If you already have Dropbox installed, uninstall the application.
  2. Download the Dropbox application.
  3. Open the installer.
    • Do not right-click, and do not command-click Run as an Administrator
  4. Follow the instructions in the install wizard.
    • If you’re asked for an administrative username and password, enter them or contact your administrator to sign in.
    • If you’re not asked for an administrative username and password, you’re already an admin on your computer.
  5. Complete the installation and sign in to Dropbox.

If you've already ensured that there are no more than 300,000 files (as the performance of our desktop app can decline to some extent in that case) and no symlinks or junction points  are used, I'd also suggest checking if there's an antivirus, firewall or even a VPN/proxy setting that might be interfering with our client, thus causing the crashes you've mentioned. 

In any case, please keep me posted on your progress!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Walter, I will try but it's frustrating as Dropbox has worked for years fine, now it's happend on 2 different computers. 1 computer I can understand, but 2 seems strange - the common factor is my dropbox account.

I've tried a system restore back to a week when dropbox worked, also muti-reinstalls but I'll try again after I have updated my system back to full update.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Another thing you could try in this specific case is our latest beta version of the desktop app Michael - it might do the trick for you.  

You can find the most recent beta build (currently 71.3.105) on the following page: 

https://www.dropbox.com/downloading?build=71.3.105&plat=win&type=full

I hope this helps to some extent and please keep me in the loop!

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hello Walter,

II've tried all suggested and not installed the Beta version.

The only difference is the Beta version shuts down itself (rather than with the mouse hovering over the dropbox icon) and I get the following message: "Dropbox unexpectantly quit". t restarts and craches again!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for your cooperation and sorry to hear this persists - even on our beta build - Michael. 

I've passed your additional comments on to your ticket and I can see that my colleague is waiting for your response. 

Let us know how it goes!

Walter

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Fix receommended did not work. After many re-installs Saturday the problem seemed to be with the computer dropbox being out of sync with the web (e.g. files would not sync and there were a number of conflicts). After deleteing these and resyncing the matter seems to have setttled down.

I am worried it may start again. How do I ensure the computer and web sync data are seeing the same thing?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional info and your undivided patience and cooperation on this one Michael - I've passed your comments on to the technician handling your case so they have a full view of the matter at hand.

If there's anything else I can help with from my end, do let me know please. 

Happy Monday!

Walter

Highlighted

Dropbox version 74.4.115 on Windows 10 crashes repeatedly

Explorer | Level 3

Hello everyone,

I am experiencing the exact same problem described by another user here:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installs-integrations/Dropbox-on-Windows-10-Crashing-repeatadly/td-p...

My Dropbox application for Windows 10 automatically updated to version 74.4.115 and suddenly started to crash repeatedly.

I have updated windows 10, re-installed Dropbox application as explained in the post linked above and cleaned system registry using CCleaner.

None of this helped solving the problem.

To make things a bit more complicated, I am not a Personal User.

I am managing a Professional Account shared with colleagues from accross the globe (India; UAE; Spain; UK; Brazil; Spain and Portugal, where i am).

I have a total of 1TB (84k files, but i strongly believe may be much more) of space occupied with my Dropbox account which is located in a dedicated HDD in my PC. Absolutely nothing else goes in that HDD.

It is a bit annoying (and a waste of time) to manually upload into the Cloud (via web) the same files i am now working on "locally" since my files are not being uploaded automatically to the cloud anymore. It is like they have stopped in time and i am now doing something that the computer used to do for me...

Will i have to wait untill an update comes out? Awaiting instructions.

Thank you in advance.

Ines R.

Highlighted

Re: Dropbox version 74.4.115 on Windows 10 crashes repeatedly

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Apologies for the tardy response @inesMUSE - are you still having this issue?

Walter

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?