cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox on Windows 10 contains fewer files than on MAC

Highlighted

Dropbox on Windows 10 contains fewer files than on MAC

Helpful | Level 5

I normally use Dropbox on Mac, but I'm switching to Windows 10. I have synced all the files on Windows 10 (on Mac they are always synced), but when I check how many there are (using the folder properties - I use a single starting folder with all my files) it says 77.2GB and 12599 files, while on Mac it says 83.59GB and 14264 files. I already changed all of the names of the files in such a way that they do not contain illegal characters for Windows (/, \, <, >, :, ", |, ?, *, .). Why are there missing files?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox on Windows 10 contains fewer files than on MAC

Helpful | Level 5

After hours of trying to find the issue, it turns out that I was only considering the file count on Windows and not folders. If I add them together there are actually more elements on Windows. But this is fine because rtfd files were split into multiple different files during the sync. Thank you for your patience.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Emue, thanks for posting today!

I'm sorry to hear about this matter. It does sound like there are still issues syncing some files across. On the Windows machine, can you click the Dropbox icon in the system tray near the clock, then the avatar on the top right and 'View sync issues'. 

Does that show any issues with files on the account? If so, let me know more details.

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thank you for answering! 

I followed the instructions you gave but there are no sync issues. The "Dropbox Sync Issues" window only shows a rectangle with "personal" written in bold and "no errors" below.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

If there's no syncing issues, then there could be another reason for this. Are you showing hidden files or folders on the Mac device, which could show more files on that device?

Are there specific folders that don't show up? Is the filepath for some of them files longer than 255 characters?

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

After hours of trying to find the issue, it turns out that I was only considering the file count on Windows and not folders. If I add them together there are actually more elements on Windows. But this is fine because rtfd files were split into multiple different files during the sync. Thank you for your patience.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Glad to hear you were able to resolve this, @Emue, let me know if you require any additional info.

Enjoy the rest of your week!

Jay

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?