cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox on a networkdrive

Dropbox on a networkdrive

Joost_O
New member | Level 2

We are using a terminal server with networkdrives and every user has its own storage area on these drives. I want to use Dropbox so we can setup a shared environment with users who use the terminal server and external users. When installing I get a message  Dropbox is not running on network drives. Is there a way I can get Dropbox to work on a networkdrive?

2 Replies 2

Re: Dropbox on a networkdrive

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey there @Joost_O

I’m afraid that network drives are not a supported location for the Dropbox desktop app due to the many risks associated with it, such as data loss. The desktop app is designed to be located on the internal (physically connected) storage of the device. 

Sorry I can’t be of more help here!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Dropbox on a networkdrive

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @Joost_O,

Only way to overcome this limitation is masking the network drive from Dropbox application point of view, so it looks like supported local drive (with appropriate supported file system). Such masking have to be done on every one workstation, where Dropbox have to be used in the noted way. How exactly could be done the masking (shadowing) is very system specific (workstations).

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?