cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox on older mac slow to start

Dropbox on older mac slow to start

New member | Level 2

I'd like to better understand what happens on start. My colleague and I have similar 27inch imacs. Mine has the hybrid drive and his is a bit older and is traditional spinning disk. Dropbox is set nearly identically on both. When starting the icon in the menu bar is gray. This slows my machine down a bit but nearly totally blocks his completely. Mine takes about 4 minutes and his is consistently 15min or more. When he restarts his computer, he knows he can't do anything until dropbox "Starts". 

Syncing is fine. Once the icon turns black and then shows the sync symbol, the computer runs normally so SYNC is NOT the problem. 

What does it mean when dropbox is "Starting"? What is it doing? It may help me figure out what is going on with his machine. Activity Monitor really doesn't give me much of a clue. Energy saver just shows that dropbox is the utility using the most energy during startup. I'm really not much of one to pour over log files so I haven't done a dump of the console to look there.

Any clues as to what happens during "Dropbox is Starting" on a Mac would be helpful.

TxDuster

1 Reply 1

Re: Dropbox on older mac slow to start

Dropboxer

Hi @TxDuster, thanks for messaging the Community!

Generally, this can occur for several reasons, including having more than 300,000 files in your account.

This article on the site might be able to shed some light on what is causing the slow startup.

Hope this helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?