cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox only opens windows explorer

Dropbox only opens windows explorer

Enani_Abdul
Explorer | Level 3

I installed the desktop app many times but whenever I click on the icon the files appear in windows explorer. I've tried change it from the task tray icon, Preferences/General/Open folders in/Dropbox app but there is no choice for the app, it's suggesting me to download the app, but I have it intalled already. I tried this on my other device and it worked just fine. Both devices are microsoft serface and both of them are working with windows 10. Please help, Thanks.

1 Reply 1

Re: Dropbox only opens windows explorer

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @Enani_Abdul; welcome to the Dropbox Family and happy March!

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with getting our new desktop app on one of your devices. 

In order for us to determine if this is an issue related to your user profile on the affected machine, please create a brand new local Operating System user profile with administrator rights in which we'll try to reproduce the behavior, by following these steps:

1. Click Start.

2. Click Control Panel.

3. In the Control Panel screen, click on User Accounts.

4. In the User Accounts screen, click on the Manage another account option.

5. Click on Add a new user in PC settings.

6. In the next screen, Other accounts will be highlighted. On the right side, click on the + sign in Add an account.

7. By default, the next screen will want an email address of the new user associated with an existing Microsoft live.com email address. If you don't have one, click the link at the bottom of the screen that says Sign in without a Microsoft account (not recommended).

8. The next screen will have a button that says "Local account". Click on that.

9. Enter the username, password, and password hint, and click next. 

10. You will return to the Manage Other Accounts screen. Select the newly created account, and click the Edit button.

11. There will be a drop-down menu. Open it, and select Administrator, then click OK.

12. The new user profile will NOT appear in the Manage Accounts screen but will be selectable on restart and will appear in the Manage Accounts screen on next login.

Once the new user profile is created, please log in to this new user profile and install the latest version of Dropbox from here:  https://www.dropbox.com/downloading

Enter your username and password when prompted.

If the issue persists on your newly created profile, please send me a screenshot of the General tab within your app's preferences so I can have a visual too. 

Thanks a bunch!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?