cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox opens and closes, never fully initiating. Un-/reinstalling does not solve the issue.

Dropbox opens and closes, never fully initiating. Un-/reinstalling does not solve the issue.

DerBoi
Explorer | Level 3

There seem to be a lot of similar posts to mine, so I am just going to add up to the line of complaints.

I am posting here to see if there is a solution. 

Currently running Windows 8.1 Pro in my desktop and I am using a free Dropbox account.

The issue is simple. Dropbox will never fully run when the computer starts up, it will just constantly cycle in an on/off state, without syncing data. I have had this problem twice before. The only fix was to uninstall and reinstall the software. However, the solution is just temporary and I am starting to get frustrated. 

If anyone knows how to solve this permanently, please let me know. 

Thank you in advance for your time and all help will be certainly appreciated.

5 Replies 5

Re: Dropbox opens and closes, never fully initiating. Un-/reinstalling does not solve the issue.

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @DerBoi, thanks for posting on the Community!

Could you check if you have any antivirus software that could be preventing the app from loading properly, and temporarily disable it?

While disabled, try installing the app again (without relinking it from scratch) by using this link

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Dropbox opens and closes, never fully initiating. Un-/reinstalling does not solve the issue.

DerBoi
Explorer | Level 3

Hei Jay, 

thx a ton for your response.

I tried to run the machine without antivirus and the issue persisted.  I also followed your advice and reinstalled the software while  my antivirus was deactivated. The result was actually worse 😞 than when doing normal reinstalls with the antivirus on. The setup wizard started running, but once it asked me to choose if i wanted to store my data on my pc then Dropbox crashed and began the endless loop cycle of closing an reopening itself. 

Any other tips will be very much appreciated and thanks again for your time. Hopefully this issue will be solved soon by the devs or I will just have to jump ship to Drive.

Jay
Dropboxer

It does sound there's an issue with the Dropbox desktop application on your machine, perhaps in its interactions with other apps or services.

If you're not on a Dropbox Basic plan with more than 3 devices connected, could you try an advanced reinstall of the app using the steps in this link?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

DerBoi
Explorer | Level 3

Dear Jay:

Thank you for the answer and advice. Also, apologies for the late response.

The advanced reinstall did help, I carried out almost a month ago, however, today, out of nowhere, the desktop app started to malfunction again, restarting and closing itself on loop. I will do the advanced reinstallation once again, but I would like to inquire if there is any long-term solution to this?

Thanks again for your support and have an excellent start of the week.

Hi @DerBoi, have you made any recent updates to the OS it...

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @DerBoi, have you made any recent updates to the OS itself, or installed any security updates? Likewise, were there any updates to any other software on your machine that could be related to security?

Keep me posted!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?