cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox out of space

Dropbox out of space

SkyChip
New member | Level 2

Dropbox Out Of Space

I clicked on a popup from Dropbox suggesting that I should back up my files.  I thought it unusual as all the files in Dropbox seemed to be working fine.  Dropbox then started to back up all the files on my computer and soon exceeded the space limit.  I only want Dropbox to deal with the files in the Dropbox folder not everything on my computer.  How do I stop dropbox from trying to back up everything and go back to what it was doing nicely until this popup appeared?

2 Replies 2

Re: Dropbox out of space

Rich
Super User II

@SkyChip wrote:

How do I stop dropbox from trying to back up everything and go back to what it was doing nicely until this popup appeared?

Turn off the computer backup feature.

Re: Dropbox out of space

SkyChip
New member | Level 2

Thanks for the quick reply.  I have looked at the link, but still unsure as to how I should remove from the Dropbox space the files that the backup feature has copied from our computer.  We only want the files in the Dropbox folder to occupy the Dropbox space. 

The link appears to possibly be to an older version of Dropbox as the buttons and tabs discussed under the heading "Turn off computer backup" do not exist under the current Preferences Backup tab.  Specifically there are no "Manage backup", "Save", "Keep contents...", "Leave contents...", "Stop backup" or "Close" options/buttons/selections.

I think I have turned off the backup feature, but it is not obvious from the information displayed on the Backup tab, and there is no obvious method to remove those additional files that have been copied.  We want these files on our computer, just not occupying space on Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

SkyChip New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?