cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox passcode and file security when accessing files through Microsoft mobile apps?

Dropbox passcode and file security when accessing files through Microsoft mobile apps?

Matt T.1
New member | Level 1

I use a Dropbox app passcode to protect my files when accessing them on my iPhone and iPad... I recently downloaded Microsoft's Office apps (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and set up Dropbox integration so I can access, edit, and save documents using the Office apps. Meanwhile, it appears that if I open up Excel, for example, and select a file from my Dropbox account, the file is opened without requiring the Dropbox passcode. If that's the case, it would seem that the Dropbox access/passcode is somewhat irrelevant, since it can be easily circumvented by going in through one of the Office apps. Please let me know if I'm mis-understanding something.. can the passcode protection be preserved when accessing through the Office integration?, Thanks for any insight.

10 Replies 10

Re: Dropbox passcode and file security when accessing files through Microsoft mobile apps?

Ed
Dropboxer

Hi there

Sorry for the delay - are you still having issues?

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Dropbox passcode and file security when accessing files through Microsoft mobile apps?

Robert J.12
New member | Level 1

I just ran into the same issue, where I was accessing a sensitive Excel file stored in Dropbox. If I close all Android applications including Dropbox, and then open Dropbox, it requires the passcode. If I close all apps again, including Dropbox, and then start the Excel app, it will list the file I had open before. If I tap on it, it will open without requiring the Dropbox passcode. I can then easily Save As to get a copy of it on the local device outside the Dropbox container. So, the passcode is rendered useless, as Matt commented above. Can someone from Dropbox comment on this please?!

Robert J.12
New member | Level 1

After a little more exploration, I see that it gets worse! If you select in Office to open 'other documents', you can then browse the entire folder structure of Dropbox and view all the files!

The only way I have found (and it is a terrible workaround) is to break the connection between Office and Dropbox. To do this in Excel, for example, you can go to open 'other documents' and there you'll see a Settings link. Open Settings, then under Connected Services delete the Dropbox connection. Once you do that, Excel will no longer be able to open Dropbox files. To open a file in Excel, you'll then have to re-establish the connection. Do this by either (a) tapping the file in Dropbox [after getting in with passcode] to open it, agreeing in the popup window to let Office access Dropbox, or (b) within Excel/Office, select Open/Add a place, and then select Connect a Cloud Service and pick Dropbox. It will ask for the Passcode; once you enter it you have re-established the connection. There doesn't seem to be a way to establishe the connection temporarily for just the one file. Instead, Office forces you to give them wide-open permission to access any file in Dropbox, anytime. I don't know who is more to blame for this fiasco--Dropbox or Microsoft. But it is a fiasco! And I sure hope a fix is found soon.

Thys S.
New member | Level 1

I have the same issue,this is a huge risk for my clients at this stage.
has anybody come across a resolution for this issue?

Leo K.2
New member | Level 1

I have the same issue.  The Dropbox Passcode feature has to be incorporated into the Excel etc/Office apps on my Nexus 9, and very soon!  Opening up these files, some of which are very confidential, using Dropbox requires the Passcode. However, the same should be required when opening these same files with the Office Apps.
Having the Office apps on my Nexus 9 tablet is great, but security of my files on a mobile device is even more important. 

Mark
Super User II

I have a  feeling that Microsoft would need to implement that actually - after all it is their software without the security features. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Luis R.7
New member | Level 1

I sent a support request to dropbox describing this problem that Matt T. and the rest of participants in this forum posted. I haven't got so far any valid answer.

We have to insist in our request because, at least for me, it makes the Dropbox app unusable with any other app that needs to access the files inside Dropbox.

The worst of this is that Dropbox developers must be aware of this security breach when they have provided the access information to other apps.

Anne Claire R.
New member | Level 1

Same issue here -- VERY frustrating. Has anyone heard anything from Microsoft or dropbox on this serious security breach?

Kenji S.
New member | Level 1

I'm having the same issue on my Android phone, I can freely access ALL my files through my office apps - that's a HUGE security issue!

Please help to come up with a fix dropbox team!

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Kenji S. New member | Level 1
    Anne Claire R. New member | Level 1
    Luis R.7 New member | Level 1
    Mark Super User II
    Leo K.2 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?