cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox password blocked by McAfee Anti-Virus

Dropbox password blocked by McAfee Anti-Virus

phillyjoe
New member | Level 2

I have installed Dropbox passwords hoping to save myself another subsciption fee to Dashlane.  About 15 minutes after a boot I will get a message that the dropboxpasswords.exe file has been quarantined by McAfee as it is perceived as a threat. The app continues to work until the next reboot and which time it needs to be uninstalled and reinstalled. I'm not sure why the .exe file is in McAfee's database but it basically makes the app unusable.  I have also tried to exclude the file from McAfee's scan but it is in the Programfiles/windowsapps folder which is locked.

1 Reply 1

Re: Dropbox password blocked by McAfee Anti-Virus

-Black_Ecstasy-
Collaborator | Level 8

Many security professionals, and others in the industry, recommend against the use of password managers, especially browser based ones for their vulnerablities.  Those who do recommend Password Managers have given extensive lists how to avoid their flaws. It would make sense why an antivirus would label it as a threat, especially ones that run in browser.

Personally, I wouldn't use it, especially after McAffe labeled it as a threat.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?