cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox permissions error

Dropbox permissions error

davdlukinuk
New member | Level 2

Help

I changed a user account in Windows 10 and Dropbox is looking for this file that doesn't exist.  Its my error but I can't seem to find the correct permissions to either overwrite the name or delete the wrong user file.

I have unlinked the computer but I can't get rid of the dropbox information and its looking for the old directory.

David

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox permissions error

Tom H.
Super User

@davdlukinuk

When you change a user name etc. its necessary to do an advanced reinstall becuase of old files remaining in place. Take note of this help topic and I would encourage you to read it a few times before attempting it. Specifically the portions about selective sync and upon the re install locating the Dropbox folder, if you moved it from the default location. 

https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/advanced-reinstall

----

Paw.png If this has helped you, please Kudo this post.
Paws.png If it has solved your issue please ✓  Accept as Solution.

View solution in original post

davdlukinuk
New member | Level 2

hi

I had to delete remaining files in the registry for Dropbox.  When it was re-installing, it would try to write to the old location and would not go past.  Eliminating all dropbox files allowed it to install correctly.  Old issues were elminated.

4 Replies 4

Tom H.
Super User

@davdlukinuk

When you change a user name etc. its necessary to do an advanced reinstall becuase of old files remaining in place. Take note of this help topic and I would encourage you to read it a few times before attempting it. Specifically the portions about selective sync and upon the re install locating the Dropbox folder, if you moved it from the default location. 

https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/advanced-reinstall

----

Paw.png If this has helped you, please Kudo this post.
Paws.png If it has solved your issue please ✓  Accept as Solution.

Jay
Dropboxer
If the advanced reinstall doesn’t work, let us know if got any errors so we can help further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

davdlukinuk
New member | Level 2

hi

I had to delete remaining files in the registry for Dropbox.  When it was re-installing, it would try to write to the old location and would not go past.  Eliminating all dropbox files allowed it to install correctly.  Old issues were elminated.

Jay
Dropboxer

Good to hear that it's working for you! Have a great evening. :grin:

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here.]

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    davdlukinuk New member | Level 2
    Tom H. Super User
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?