cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox problems with sync

Dropbox problems with sync

Nicolaj Kristensen
Explorer | Level 3
Hi
I’m a user of Dropbox Business, and i have some problems i need help with.

My harddrive did for some reasen deleted a lot of my files, and i don’t know why... When i connected my harddrive to my computer, Dropbox startet to deleted the same files there was deleted on my harddrive... I quickly dicornected my harddrive, and restored the missing files online in Dropbox, so they are now back again. But if i put my harddrive back into the computer, it wil start doing the same again. How do i sync the files from dropbox back into my harddrive…? I need to sync the other way around, so the files i have in the Dropbox cloud, syncs back into my harddrive. Can you please help me…?
5 Replies 5

Re: Dropbox problems with sync

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @Nicolaj Kristensen; thanks for joining our Community!

It sounds like your had moved your Dropbox folder onto an external hard drive; is this correct? 

In that case, if the drive is ever disconnected from the computer while Dropbox is running there is a small chance that the Dropbox software will start deleting files before realizing that the entire drive has been removed.

At this point, since you've already restored the deleted files from the website, I'd suggest re-connecting the hard-drive and letting the app sync the changes until it shows up to date. 

Let me know if I'm missing something here, Nicolaj. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Nicolaj Kristensen
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter
Yes, it sounds right. My dropbox folder is installed on my external hard drive. And in som point, yesterday my hard drive desepirred from my mac, and when i plug in the hard drive again, there was missing a lot of files, and when it start syncs whit dropbox again, dropbox started to delete all the missing files.

So if i just reconnect my hard drive again to the computer, and start sync with dropbox, the same will happened. So i need it to sync the other way around, so all the files from dropbox syncs back into the hard drive. How do i do that...?

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to us here @Nicolaj Kristensen!

To avoid needing to unlink and relink the account to the desktop app, I would suggest following Walter's suggestion to reconnect the hard drive and then starting the desktop app to allow it to sync.

It should sync down the files from your account online since you restored them online recently. If there are any deletions, I would suggest allowing the app to complete syncing and then restore the files from the website.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Nicolaj Kristensen
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks a lot. That helped 🙂

Daphne
Dropboxer

I'm glad to hear that @Nicolaj Kristensen!

If there's anything else that I can help with, please just give me a nudge here.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your week!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?