cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox pulling support for Mac 10.6-10.8 loses a segment of users

Dropbox pulling support for Mac 10.6-10.8 loses a segment of users

Ross H.
Helpful | Level 5

For the third time in as many years, I have received notification from Dropbox that they are pulling support for a particular computer OS.  First it was Mac OS 10.4 & 10.5 which meant none of my PPC Macs would be supported anymore since they cannot be upgraded to a newer OS.  Next it was Windows XP that I run on 2 computers that power my home automation system and cannot be upgraded due to that program not meeting current Windows security model criteria.  Now it is Mac OS 10.6, the last OS that supports PPC applications that I run through Rosetta.

I guess we can understand that for the crowd of people who use Dropbox for group collaboration, sharing files across town, the state or country, and world, they will (or can) all be on the newest, shiniest computers - I have exactly ONE of those myself. 

But there is another population of users, that includes myself, that wishes to use Dropbox to share files amoung our own computers.  This often includes a range of computers of different types and ages.  Apparently, this is not a market segment that Dropbox wishes to address. For me, it is 4 computers that will be "orphaned".

I just wanted to post this because I sometimes feel bad that I have not purchased an upgraded subscription, but my need isn't addressed, so why would I?

69 Replies 69

Re: Dropbox pulling support for Mac 10.6-10.8 loses a segment of users

Mark
Super User II

@Ross H. wrote:

I just wanted to post this because I sometimes feel bad that I have not purchased an upgraded subscription, but my need isn't addressed, so why would I?

Have to be honest and say I was quite shocked when I saw it, but, I think you've hit the nail on the head. Simply put not enough people HAVE upgraded to warrant them continuing to support the older OS's. In other words they are getting less in income than its costing them to maintain older unsupported operating systems. 

Maybe if more had paid then the decision would have been at a later date and not now, 

That said, based on experiences around WinXP and Public Folders I think its safe to say 'nothing is going to change' and they will stop those users connecting to Dropbox on the date specified. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

ingeplinge
Helpful | Level 5

And, those users, like OP and myself, are most likely skilled and professional users,  we have no choice but to chose other cloudbased services instead of buying pro licences with Dropbox. After almost a decade on various platforms and interfaces I have finally decided to drop dropbox, since they ignore the users who supported them from the very beginning, for no apparent reason..

Why pull the plug on us, it should be our choice whether to risk running unsupported software! When the hardware of my snow leopard (intel!) macs, my symbian smartphone as well as my old pcs or *nixen no longer work I will most likely replace the seized part or whole, but today I both work with and personally own computer hardware approaching an age of twenty years, because some things from the past were built to last. Discourageing (not encourageing) the habit and art of maintenance is in essence what Dropbox does by pulling the plug, instead of remaining backward compatible. Besides, this makes no sense "security-wise", either, as these old computers are still allowed web access through "supported browsers", which obviously will not apply security beyond that implemented in their hosts OS.

I ask Dropbox to reconsider, honor your customers and peers, do not let us down like too many times already. The world doesn't run on new hardware alone.

Seriously disappointed that you're dropping support for Mac OS 10.6

jrethorst
New member | Level 2

I have two Mac computers and a lot of software for them, some of which does not run or run reliably on OS versions later than 10.6.8. It would cost a lot to upgrade that software. I do upgrade an app when a new version has a feature I like but am most often happy with what I have and manage to avoid unneeded expense. 

As well, although my wife mostly uses Windows, she has a nice Mac powerbook for some purposes. It's an older model and cannot be upgraded past 10.6. It's a good machine though, and I don't think she wants to buy a new one.

As info, Skype recently announced it was pulling support for 10.6 and the outcry was so large that they published an edit for their plist that will allow the app to continue to run on 10.6, although unsupported. Can you do that? I think a lot of people would appreciate that.

Thank you.

Janko
New member | Level 2

+1 for me on this, I'm very disapointed for my old mid 2007 MacMini that can't run on earlier than 10.7 OS but works just perfect for me!

What is 10 years compared to the age of the earth?

I feel old and sad.

ScottG
New member | Level 2

I just received a notice today that suggests that Dropbox will no longer be supporting 2 of my 4 platforms.  My work desktop (provided by my employer) runs Windows Vista.  I have no control over the fact that my employer will not upgrade the computers and OS's until they die.  I also maintain an older iPad2 that is now unsupported.

In addition to not being able to share files with customers I am also not able to use my password security database which I had syncing through my Dropbox account (it's an encrypted file).  So my efforts to use the latest password security have been thwarted unless I upgrade my hardware.

I really think Dropbox needs to reconsider.

airsmith
New member | Level 2
I'll be closing my Dropbox account - without 10.6 it's useless to me.

T C K.
Helpful | Level 6

We have upgraded to business, but perhaps are the lone exception (with 7 Macs, several of which can't or don't want to run 10.9+)?

I find it highly irritating though that, as many others suggested, the desktop syncing is simply disabled, instead of cutting support. It is unacceptable and forces me to look for an alternative solution: as of today, officially only ONE out SEVEN Macs will sync. Sync with what? Obviously not the other six Macs!

devospice
Helpful | Level 5

Does Dropbox have any idea how much they just screwed up my workflow?  I have 2016 Macbook Pro laptop and a circa 2006 Mac Pro and I use Dropbox to keep most of my files in sync.  In fact, the laptop doesn't have any documents on it that aren't in the Dropbox folder.  But the Mac Pro is used for music and video editing because that's how my studio is set up.  And this morning I got an email that I've been logged out of my Dropbox account and it will no longer sync.

Oh, but I can still use the web interface... Are you kidding me?!

I routinely deal with files that are over 1 GB.  Downloading those files one at a time from the web interface is not pleasant.  And, since I'm a web developer too, I routinely deal with folders that have hundreds, or potentially thousands of files in them, that I have to keep in sync.  That's not practical to do from the web.  

What I don't understand is why does the sync have to stop working?  It worked yesterday.  Surely it will work today and tomorrow.  So they don't want to support my OS.  Fine.  Don't push an update to my desktop client.  But don't break something that works just fine!  Why can't my computer just continue to run the old version of Dropbox to keep my files in sync???

I literally, just yesterday, recommended Dropbox to a colleague.  And now I can't even use it myself anymore and need to look for an alternative.  Suggestions welcome.

Kevin G.40
Helpful | Level 6
Yep this is an email I didn't want to wake up to. Dropbox just screwed me. One of my development platforms I sync with EVERY DAY still runs an older OS because it's stable. It's very expensive to update an OS beyond just updating the OS when the hardware can't support the OS.

This means... I now go look for an alternative to Dropbox as they just shut me out of something I use 50x a day.

This also means, I have to advise my clients to stop using DB with me.

Oh... and the web interface.. lol please that is not even a legit method of usage for any real DB user.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

timmysmith New member | Level 2
    obo Helpful | Level 6
    T C K. Helpful | Level 6
    devospice Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?