cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox puts a notepad file on the Desktop

Dropbox puts a notepad file on the Desktop

LCH14
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Since re downloading dropbox to a windows 10 - dropbox puts a notepad message onto the desktop that says as below.

If it is deleted it then replaces itself.

How does one stop this from happening ?  Did not happen before.

Notepad message below:

[.ShellClassInfo]
IconResource=C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\Dropbox.exe,-3704

11 Replies 11

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Chris0103 wrote:

... when I check or uncheck the "Hidden" option under properties the icon stays on my desktop and I am not able to remove it.

The file should already be marked as hidden. What you need to do is disable the display of hidden files. It's an option in File Explorer and nothing to do with Dropbox.

Also, to be clear, this is not a file generated by Dropbox. It's generated by Windows. If there are any customizations made to your Desktop, custom icons or changes to how files are displayed, etc., then Windows will generate a desktop.ini file. It does this for any folder where you've changed the display properties. You'll find desktop.ini files all over your computer. They're just not usually visible unless you've enabled the display of hidden files in Explorer.

Chris0103
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Rich

Thats great but whats the proceedure for turning this file off, because I can't do it in the properties bit of the foleder itself?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Chris0103 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    LCH14 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?