cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox "Backup" is interfering with iCloud

Dropbox "Backup" is interfering with iCloud

bigsur2021
New member | Level 2

Dropbox "backup" is interfering with iCloud sync. With the latest dropbox app installed, your iCloud Desktop and Documents folders would stop syncing. Solution:

1. Make sure "Desktop & Documents" folder is not backed up through dropbox! By default it will make these two folders backed up by dropbox which will cause problems! The only way to change the setting is to click "set up" and then select a new folder to be backed up by dropbox and de-select "Desktop & Documents" folder. 

2. Deleting dropbox is useless. You must completely delete and disable dropbox sync from your computer. 

This is a bug. Dropbox Team, please fix it!!!

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II

@bigsur2021 wrote:

Dropbox "backup" is interfering with iCloud sync. With the latest dropbox app installed, your iCloud Desktop and Documents folders would stop syncing. ... This is a bug. Dropbox Team, please fix it!!!

It's not a bug. The "backup" feature works by MOVING key folders, such as your Desktop and Documents, to the Dropbox folder so they can sync. This is how the feature is designed to work. If you don't want the folders backed up through Dropbox, don't enable the feature for those folders and they'll remain in their original location.

Since the key folders are being moved when using the backup feature, other services such as iCloud or Drive may not be able to access them, and if they can, you should know that it's never a good idea to have two sync services actively syncing the same content. Problems are sure to arise if you do.

bigsur2021
New member | Level 2

How's that not a bug the moment you download dropbox app on your mac your desktop and documents folder no longer syncs with icloud? People lose their documents unawared.

Wouldn't it be obvious that dropbox should at least tell the mac users that they are by default enabling "desktop and documents" sync? This was not the case in the past as users were allowed to choose which folder to sync with dropbox and it did not include the "desktop and documents" folder by default. There are tons of complains online with clueless users stretching their heads and dropbox claims this as a feature? 

Rich
Super User II

@bigsur2021 wrote:

How's that not a bug the moment you download dropbox app on your mac your desktop and documents folder no longer syncs with icloud?

While it is a default option during installation, it's not mandatory and you can opt out of the backup feature. It's one of the questions asked during the install. If Dropbox is already installed, the backup feature is not enabled unless you enable it manually.

piotom
New member | Level 2

I see what you are saying. I had the same issue. It seems you have to choose one service to sync your desktop. Either it is dropbox or iCloud.  I had the same issue. You can disable it without uninstalling it all the way. Just change the permissions on the desktop and documents folder to read only (this step may not be necessary, but I did it anyways.) Then in dropbox settings you disable the the backup of those folders. Then enable iCloud backup and iCloud works again as intended.

adrock8
New member | Level 2

This problem messed up my entire Desktop! My Macbook Pro will no longer sync my Desktop and Documents with Icloud!!! The only way to fix it is to completely reinstall my Mac.

Won't be using dropbox anymore. Garbage.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

adrock8 New member | Level 2
    piotom New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    bigsur2021 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?