cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox "Connecting..." with VPN

Dropbox "Connecting..." with VPN

dhayduk
Explorer | Level 4

Been using Dropbox for many years. Normally DB is connected and status is "up to date". And it had been then when I started VPN to the office, that DB would lose connection (not surprising) and would then re-establish the connection. But for the past few updates, the DB icon in the tray is grayed out and the status stays "Connecting...". Sometimes it will even sync any changes that get made (say I upload a picture via my phone), but not always. Proxy is set to AUTO.

Definitely didn't have this problem in earlier versions - just not sure exactly when it started (currently running v127.4.4265 on Windows).

16 Replies 16

dhayduk
Explorer | Level 4

Oh, should have mentioned that if I disconnect from the VPN, then Dropbox will successfully connect after a few seconds.

Also, if VPN is connected and I completely kill dropbox and restart - then it will connect successfully. But then when I disconnect VPN, it will stay in "Connecting..." mode.

So basically, it doesn't like having the network endpoint changed while it is running (and doesn't seem to actually retry the connection)...

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @dhayduk, how are you today?

Sorry to hear about this issue - can you try locating the Dropbox icon and menu from the system tray ?

Then, try right-clicking on the icon to access the Dropbox desktop application menu and click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel. 

Select "Preferences" from the Dropbox menu. Select the "Proxies" submenu or tab and from there "No proxy".

Can you give it a go, and let me know how it goes? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dhayduk
Explorer | Level 4

I changed to "No Proxy" but Dropbox still didn't connect (we do use proxies at VPN, so that's why I've used auto-detect in the past and it correctly detected "no proxy" when off VPN and "proxy" when on VPN)...

I did notice this morning that Dropbox had connected overnight. Hours after the initial VPN gets established - Dropbox is finally able to connect.

I'll check again tomorrow (VPN connect gets reset every 24 hours; currently connected for 4.2 hours).

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Happy Monday @dhayduk!

I'm here to check how things are for you now. Could you also check your DNS settings? 

Also, feel free to let me know your ISP location, please. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Vas V.
Collaborator | Level 8

I am also having issues with dropbox refusing to connect while a VPN is active. This started up within the last month, when I switched AVG VPN from OpenVPN to Mimic VPN protocols. I have to exit the application and re-launch it to connect, but if the net goes out at any point, the application can't reconnect till it has been restarted.

dhayduk
Explorer | Level 4

Yeap - exit and relaunch does allow the connection to succeed. So it is just something about connection being twiddled while Dropbox is running...

alturic
Explorer | Level 3

After 2 years, nothing has been fixed with this issue?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @alturic, according to our info, there isn't an issue as such, since we would have many reports of the same nature. 

Does your VPN have any settings that could be restricting traffic to the following Dropbox domains?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

dhayduk
Explorer | Level 4

I'm still seeing this with 181.4.5678.

Boot computer and dropbox connects. Start VPN and dropbox is stuck in "syncing" (next local change just stays at "uploading" forever). Restart dropbox and everything is happy. Disconnect VPN and dropbox gets stuck in "syncing" again.

Need more support?