cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox running in a loop when starting

Dropbox running in a loop when starting

JeanRM
Explorer | Level 3

Dropbox is no longer starting correctly and seems to loop at startup.

I did this before:

My intention was to link a different Dropbox account to one user of my Windows 10 computer.

So I logged in with the previous Dropbox account on www.dropbox.com and I unlinked the Windows 10 computer.

When l log in for this user on W10, Dropbox client does not display the menu to enter a new username and password.

Clicking on Dropbox icon just displays the logo animation and nothing else. No error message or timeout appears.

Dropbox is working fine for all other user accounts on that computer.

I tried to uninstall, delete manually all Dropbox files, install Dropbox from scratch, ... without success.

Any help greatly appreciated!

6 Replies 6

Re: Dropbox running in a loop when starting

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey there @JeanRM, I hope you're well today!

Can you just clarify, does the app appear to crash and restart, or is it just in a continuous state of "Starting"? If it's crashing you should see the icon disappearing and reappearing in your system tray.

Also, can you let me know which version of the app you have installed? You should be able to see this by hovering over the Dropbox icon.

Please feel free to send along any screenshots too, excluding any personal info.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

JeanRM
Explorer | Level 3

Dear Daphne,

Thank you for taking care of my question.

I am using Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, version 20.04, build 19041.508 and Dropbox 105.4.651 .

Dropbox seems to be in a continous state of starting, first it displays (original text from german version) "Verbindungsaufbau" (establishing connection) and then "Warten auf Verknüpfung mit einem Dropbox-Konto" (waiting to be linked to a Dropbox account".

When left-clicking on the Dropbox icon for accessing the settings, the "box" animation runs forever, at least for 90 minutes yesterday.

dropbox-startup-1.jpgdropbox-startup-2.jpg

On my other user account on the same computer, running the same Dropbox version, the expected screen is displayed within some moments.

dropbox-left-click-on-icon.jpg

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @JeanRM!

Was the app installed with admin rights on this user account?

Do you have any firewall programs or proxies on the computer too?

Let me know - cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @JeanRM,

Possible reasons for such a headache could be broken web query assignment (default browser set) or broken application instance configuration.

What's going on when you try open a HTML file residing on your computer locally (doesn't matter what exactly, just something), while you are logged in using the same local user? Does the correct application open (i.e. the same browser you have used to log in)? If not, correct it.

You can fix possible broken configuration using represented here. Use the actual path according your user to navigate to! Actual reason could be the same (or similar, at least).

Hope this helps.

JeanRM
Explorer | Level 3

Dear @Здравко,

Thanks a lot for the hint.

Edge and Chrome refuse to start for that user. A W10 error message appears saying that no app is linked to this action when clicking on a https link received in a mail. I try to investigate on this. It seems that the primary problem is Windows related and not Dropbox related. Unfortunately the referenced problem does not contain a solution for my case.

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@JeanRM wrote:.

... Edge and Chrome refuse to start for that user. A W10 error message appears saying that no app is linked to this action when clicking on a https link received in a mail. ...

Get in your favorite web browser, either Edge, Chrome, or might be Firefox, for example. Navigate to the browser settings. Somewhere in have to be something like "Set as default browser" (exact text could vary). Currently seems you haven't assigned such. Hopfully this should fix openning web files.

@JeanRM wrote:
... Unfortunately the referenced problem does not contain a solution for my case.

Are you sure? 🤔 Did you check or just suppose? The problem there is different, definitely, but the reason could be similar - broken configuration!

Add: Sorry! I just take a look there and seems the path where you should navigate to got erased. Somebody has gone too far, I think. Anyway... You should navigate to "C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local" (set the corect user directory) and remove "Dropbox" directory residing there. 😉

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?