cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox says it is synchronized but Finder says it is not, on Mac

Dropbox says it is synchronized but Finder says it is not, on Mac

Explorer | Level 4

Hello!

I have exactly the same problem. This is a bit frustrating I have to say since I rely so much on the reliability of dropbox.

Here is a screenshot that says it all:

Why on Earth is Dropbox saying that my Dropbox folder is sync while Finder says differently. And yes, I tried:

- pausing and resuming Dropbox

- relaunching Finder

Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 2.43.05 PM.png

http://dropbox.com says that I have 1.04 TB used. The Dropbox folder on my harddisk is 700Gb large. So I guess this is not a matter of windows not properly refreshed. Some files are really missing apparently... 

I use a new Mac bought yesterday (!), so with a fresh Mojave instalation, no junk software installed.

Cheers

3 Replies 3

Re: Dropbox says it is synchronized but Finder says it is not, on Mac

Dropboxer

Hi @alex06000, thanks for checking in about this!

In order to ensure your computer is running the latest stable version of the Dropbox desktop application, could I ask you to reinstall it? 

In regards to the quota discrepancy you mentioned, do have a look at your Selective Sync settings in case any folders have not been selected to sync to the device. 

Also, make sure your Dropbox folder is syncing to a main internal drive rather than an external one, as that may interfere with the syncing as well. You can read more about this here

Let me know if this helps or if there is anything else I can help with! 

Celeste
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks @Celeste for your reply.

I tried reinstalling Dropbox, and it did seem to have an effect, but no idea if this will solve my problem. My Dropbox folder is super large, and it takes age just to start. 

I have not activated the selective sync option, since my harddisk is large enough. 

My Dropbox folder is on the main harddisk, which is a Fusion 2Tb I believe. So my problems is apparently not solved yet. 

Well... I will leave the computer for a couple of days to see if the synchronization happens. I have also left out some super large folder from being sync locally. I hope this will have  an effect.

I have a question: when I click on the dropbox icon in the top menu bar, I see a window which says at the bottom "Syncing 434,332 files . 10 minutes". What does this "10 minutes" actually mean? I cannot give a meaning to it. Is it 10 minutes to sync a file, for which I do not know which one? I guess Dropbox does not mean to sync half-a-million files in 10 minutes. That would not match the reputation of Dropbox if so. This "10 minutes" labels times to time changes to "5 minutes" or "20 minutes".

I will let you know about the progresses...

Thanks!

Dropboxer

Hi @alex06000, thank you for checking in!

Glad to know that the desktop app is syncing to your main hard drive as that is a better location for smoother syncing. 

The time remaining and file number will fluctuate as the app updates, so do let the app finish syncing on its own.

Keep me posted with the progress or if you need anything else!

Have a great week ahead in the meantime!

Celeste
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?