cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox showing emails in msg format

Dropbox showing emails in msg format

Blacky74
Explorer | Level 3

Hi

I have recently added a new user to our Dropbox team, and given them access to a  number of files. Within these files are saved emails which were saved in "Outlook Item" format, but show in the new users Dropbox as msg files and cannot be opened. 

Without access to see these emails, Dropbox becomes somewhat useless for this persons role. 

How is it that I can open all of these emails in Dropbox on my desktop, but they can't be opened on this laptop? 

Appreciate any help. Thanks 

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II

@Blacky74 wrote:

Within these files are saved emails which were saved in "Outlook Item" format, but show in the new users Dropbox as msg files and cannot be opened. 

The Outlook format is MSG files, so what you're seeing is intended. If you drag a message out of Outlook to your Desktop or a folder, or if you open a message and use Save As and select the Outlook format, the result is an MSG file. To open that file, you either need Outlook or another application capable of opening MSG files installed.

Dropbox doesn't change the format of your files, and doesn't have anything to do with opening them. That's up to your operating system and the applications that you have installed.

Blacky74
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Rich

I have downloaded a desktop version of Outlook and it now works, can open emails saved in Dropbox. I don't know why, but this version of outlook seems to automatically change the file properties in Dropbox to "Outlook Item" instead of msg. 

I don't know why, but it works. 

Rich
Super User II

@Blacky74 wrote:

I don't know why, but this version of outlook seems to automatically change the file properties in Dropbox to "Outlook Item" instead of msg. 

An MSG file IS an Outlook Item.

Blacky74
Explorer | Level 3

Well emails open now, didn't before. Actual file type in Dropbox has changed to "Outlook Item" and not "msg" also without prompting. Possibly App version of Outlook doesn't allow it. Like I said, I don't know, I am not an IT person. Just happy it works! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Blacky74 Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?