cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox stopped syncing since update

Dropbox stopped syncing since update

pdiseris
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Ever since Dropbox released their new update, my files have been stuck on the same few hundred files and haven't been able to sync or save anything new in over 4 months. All the while they keep charging me my monthly fee. I've reached out to support several times and none of the solutions have helped. I've unlinked and relinked my account, have used their terminal commands, which also didn't. They have literally broken the product with this update without being able to offer me any solutions.

I'm using an external drive for my dropbox folder, it's not a network drive. It has worked flawlessly via this setup for over 10 years. Now with all these new updates etc, Dropbox no longer works as it did. it's a real shame and a huge inconvenience for my productivity. I'm sure others feel the same.

48 Replies 48

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @tai11354; thanks for joining our Community and sorry to hear about your syncing issue.

If you're still experiencing this, can you please send us a screenshot of the exact status of the app as shown within your system tray?

Thanks a bunch! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

tai11354
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Walter,

It is always in this state. Even though I have added and deleted files from the website, none of the changes are synced to the PC. Could there be a lock file that needs to be removed? I also reinstalled the app, but it is still like this.

Dropbox always showing "Syncing..." but never syncing any changes.Dropbox always showing "Syncing..." but never syncing any changes.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the quick update on this one @tai11354

If this still persists after reinstalling the app, may I have you try unlinking your account from the app's preferences (under the Account tab) and re-link it to see if it improves matters at all?

Keep me posted! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

tai11354
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I've tried that before and now again after reinstalling, but it's still not syncing.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry for the late response @tai11354; are you still having issues with this?

If you do, could you please check if there's an antivirus, a firewall or even a VPN/proxy setting that could be causing this?

Keep us posted! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Muzza
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Walter,

It's still not working. It gets caught on specific files. Currently it is "BuildVersionHistory.plist", but I have many files of that generic name associated with Pages. 
I daren't delete them all!!

Thanks

Murray

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the update on this Murray.

Can you clarify if you've already used the hardlinks and/or the permissions fix as mentioned in this discussion?

If you did and still get stuck at syncing, please send me the status of the app as shown within your system tray/menu bar so I can have a visual too.

Thanks! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

tai11354
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I've whitelisted Dropbox in the antivirus apps (and even turned them off), but Dropbox still does not sync.

Sonnelein
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I had the same issue, even after reinstalling the app as per request (all 6TB). It didn't work. 
Later I found that the issue was caused by just a few files. Some of them had characters that weren't admitted as namefiles by Win (but were created by a Mac user). So I identified all of them, and simply changed their names. Problem solved!  Hope it works

Need more support?