cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox stopped syncing since update

Dropbox stopped syncing since update

pdiseris
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Ever since Dropbox released their new update, my files have been stuck on the same few hundred files and haven't been able to sync or save anything new in over 4 months. All the while they keep charging me my monthly fee. I've reached out to support several times and none of the solutions have helped. I've unlinked and relinked my account, have used their terminal commands, which also didn't. They have literally broken the product with this update without being able to offer me any solutions.

I'm using an external drive for my dropbox folder, it's not a network drive. It has worked flawlessly via this setup for over 10 years. Now with all these new updates etc, Dropbox no longer works as it did. it's a real shame and a huge inconvenience for my productivity. I'm sure others feel the same.

48 Replies 48

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @stevejhastings, thanks for joining us here!

Would you mind trying the steps again, but instead of clicking "Fix hardlinks" can you try the "Fix permissions" option?

There will be a short period after where you might see some small fluctuations in the sync status while this change is applied, so please allow a short time frame to see if there is any progress.

Let me know how it goes and we'll take it from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

hardlink
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Daphne,

I have a similar issue with a recent update that broke syncing of hard links in Windows for me as well.

I was happy when I saw your solution, however, I don't get the option to "Fix Hardlinks" anywhere in the options (v. 88.4.172).. I'm confused now.

In Windows, or any other programmes, those same hardlinks work perfectly fine!

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @hardlink, thanks for joining the discussion!

To see the option within your desktop app preferences, you need to hold down the Space bar key while you're within the "Account" tab.

When you do this, are you able to see the option? You'll need to keep the key pressed to see and click on the option.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

hardlink
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, and sorry for the delay on my end:

The space bar did indeed bring up the 2 buttons (only after some time though, don't know why it wouldn't work before)..

So, I clicked "Repair", got the info "Dropbox sucessfully repaired .. and made them into copies". However, nothing's changed, the hardlink folders are still not sychronised (and marked with a small red x symbol).

I also clicked on "Fix permissions", which didn't do the trick either. 😞

I've also restarted both Dropbox, and then the entire OS, without any success.

Do you have any more suggestions?
Or will the issue be addressed in the coming updates?

Thanks in advance!

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me @hardlink!

Is it possible that they're symlinks instead of hardlinks? Rather than a copy of the file that it's linked with, it would be like a shortcut to the file in another location.

Could you try the steps listed in point 7 here and let me know if you find symlinks within the Dropbox folder pointing to files outside the folder?

If you do, can you replacing these with the actual file and using the symlink in the original location? Otherwise, please try moving files with the red X outside of Dropbox and then move them back inside.

Keep me posted with your findings!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

hardlink
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi @Daphne,

I'm sorry, you are right!
When I checked terminolgies, I remembered: mine are indeed symbolic links, as they all point to folders (and they don't recommend hard links for folders). And there was some other issue I don't remember exactly, but I went for symlinks ("mklink" command) for a  reason.

I want the target outside my dropbox, because my dropbox folder is on an encrypted partition, but I want my normal files backed up and syncronised in the cloud, too. It doesn't work the other way round, because if I start Dropbox and forget to mount my drive, it will think those files are gone and delete them. I don't want to type my encryption password every time I work on the computer either.

The solution I had worked perfectly fine.

But now apparently they broke the programme. 😞

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the info @hardlink!

In this case, there isn't much I can suggest in regards to the symlinks. The workaround for using them with Dropbox would be to reverse them, so the file is within the Dropbox folder instead.

I understand that this isn't ideal for your though due to your current set up.

I'd just like to note too that there was a recent change in how Dropbox handles symlinks, which you can check out more info on here.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest making sure that your desktop app is up to date as a new version was recently released (89.4).

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Sonnelein
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Daphne,
I'm having the same issue (on several computers). After latest mandatory update (mid January- V90.4.307  - Win 10) Dropbox startet re-syncing all the files (+100.000) and never finalized. 

I've tried all the steps you mentioned above without any luck. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks! 

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for joining us here @Sonnelein!

Can you just let me know if the files within your Dropbox folder are showing the blue syncing icon?

Also, if you click the Dropbox icon in your system tray can you send me a screenshot (excluding personal info) of the current sync status of your desktop app?

Are you seeing any progress in the sync status at all if you check it over a short time period?

Looking forward to your reply!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

pierrecua
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi @DAPHNE. my dropbox wont sync. tried all the solutions above. Can you help please. Problem occured I think this february or march 2020

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Sonnelein Explorer | Level 3
    tai11354 Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Muzza Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?