cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox stopped syncing since update

Dropbox stopped syncing since update

pdiseris
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Ever since Dropbox released their new update, my files have been stuck on the same few hundred files and haven't been able to sync or save anything new in over 4 months. All the while they keep charging me my monthly fee. I've reached out to support several times and none of the solutions have helped. I've unlinked and relinked my account, have used their terminal commands, which also didn't. They have literally broken the product with this update without being able to offer me any solutions.

I'm using an external drive for my dropbox folder, it's not a network drive. It has worked flawlessly via this setup for over 10 years. Now with all these new updates etc, Dropbox no longer works as it did. it's a real shame and a huge inconvenience for my productivity. I'm sure others feel the same.

48 Replies 48

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @pierrecua, thanks for joining the discussion here!

So I can have a better understanding of your current set up, can you let me know what the sync status of your desktop app shows?

Also, let me know which version of the desktop app you have installed, which you can see by hovering over the Dropbox icon in your menu bar/system tray.

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

hardlink
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

So,

Dropbox won't fix or address this, will they?  -_-

I'm sorry this seems targeted at you directly, which it isn't as you're here to help users..

But I can't help getting annoyed that Dropbox team (and other developers) just randomly remove functions with a forced(!) update for apparently no good reason!

Plus, there's no way to avoid those updates, or go back to a previous version that works for me.

dpuser1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same problem here. Tried all the methods but nothing worked. Syncing starts but after some minutes it stops and no files are synced showing +2 days . I also tried the beta version 93.3.258 but the same problem occurs.  My system is Windows server 2012 r2 standard fully patched.  If I restart the app, it starts syncing again but after 20 minutes it hangs again. I also tried to disabled firewall, tried the fix hard link solution, reinstalled the app, but nothing worked. I have a dropbox business account.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for your updates here!

I completely understand your frustration @hardlink, I wish there was something else that I could offer for you to work around the using symlinks.

You would be able to keep these in the Dropbox folder, it will just sync them as a symlink file instead of syncing the file that the symlink points to outside of the Dropbox folder.

Since you mentioned that you tried fixing hardlinks @dpuser1, can you let me know if you also tried the "Fix permissions" option that you see in the same location?

Also, since you have the desktop app installed on a Windows Server OS, can you check out this article and let me know how you currently have the app set up?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jeffharrington
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

1. Done this like 10 times with support from DropBox staff.

Its does not work. I had my partner load a small folder 25 images two days to sync to my desktop used to be 2 minutes.

2. I was organizing my files and remaining them on my desktop App now they are gone online. Hundreds of folders.  

3.  DropBox went from being a favour company to the worse. I am telling everyone to get out before they destroy your folders

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm sorry to hear about your trouble with this @jeffharrington !

Just to check all bases, if you haven't already please check to see if your bandwidth settings within your desktop app are limited at all.

Also, I was able to locate your open ticket with our Support team, and I've passed along your comments to the agent handling your case to keep them in the loop.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

TLS
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi there,

My dropbox has stopped synching all of a sudden.  I am on a Mac laptop running Mojave o/s.   If I make a file and save in my in dropbox via my finder, it doesn't save onto the web platform and vice versa.  I have tried to unlink the dropbox and relink, quit dropbox and relaunch, and go into preferences account and press alt/option and fix hardlinks and have had no success with any of these attempts.  Any other ideas?  I have enough space on my laptop...it looks like there was an update to dropbox on March 19th, perhaps the issue started then.  Thank you.

TLS
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

And just to add, I also went into preferences account and press alt/option and fixed permissions.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @TLS, I hope you're well today!

Thanks for all the detail you've provided so far. So I can have a better idea of your current set up, can you let me know which version of the desktop app you have installed?

Also, can you send me a screenshot (excluding any personal info) of the sync status when you click on the Dropbox icon?

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Sardinha123
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi, i have been having the same problems with Syncing dropbox.

I updated my account to plus (2TB) and i am uploading data from my external harddrive to dropbox on my mac.

Since then i hve already 1.3TB of information, but two days ago it just stopped.

It shows syncing 162.741 files for two days and on dropbox.com it hasnt updated the last files.

I have made the tips i read about fixing hardlinks and permissions, i have restarted several times my mac, but its starts always on the same number and it stays there without sycing...

My desktop version is v96.4.172 and i am uploading a screenshot...Screenshot 2020-05-06 at 08.37.41.png

Can anyone help me with this?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Sonnelein Explorer | Level 3
    tai11354 Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Muzza Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?