cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox stopped uploading however download still works

Dropbox stopped uploading however download still works

cipciugames
Explorer | Level 3

Hi there,

For a couple of days I've been struggling with this problem. I added around 30 files to the dropbox and are not going through. The files are quite small, something like 3/4 MB. 

My dropbox is linked to another laptop(osx) and the files I upload on that are going in the dropbox and the desktop pc(the one I'm having troubles with) sees them, so the download works, however the files I'm trying to upload on the desktop are not going up.

I checked in settings to be sure that I'm not limiting the upload. At first I tought that because I have 1TB of files on dropbox it might take a while, however it's been a few days since I created those files and are not going up. 

I'm not sure what to do. I've been thinking to unlink the dropbox and link it again, but 1TB of files would take me days to resync everything all over again.

Also I checked on https://www.speedtest.net/ and this is the result
Untitled-1.jpg

So the network shouldn't be the problem.

Please let me know if you know what could be the problem.

12 Replies 12

Re: Dropbox stopped uploading however download still works

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @cipciugames, thanks for reaching out to us and sorry to hear that you're having trouble syncing your desktop app. 

As a first step, could you try the following steps in the exact order listed, and see if they do the trick?

1. Click on the Dropbox icon in your system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac).
  2. Go to the gear in the Notifications panel.
  3. Select Preferences...
  4. Navigate to the Account tab.
  5. Click anywhere in the window under the tab.
  6. Hold down the 'Space' key (Windows) or the 'Option/Alt' key (Mac).
  7. Click on the Fix Hardlinks button (if you’re on a Mac OS, make sure you're still holding down the 'Option/Alt' key).
  8. You may be asked for your computer's login credentials, in which case, please enter them.
  9. Wait a bit to see if Dropbox resumes syncing.

If the above steps don’t resolve your issue, please repeat steps 1-5, but at step 6, click on the Fix Permissions button, instead. 

If that doesn't help, could you confirm for me what you see when you hover over your Dropbox icon that's next to your computer's clock? 

Let me know how it goes - thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

cipciugames
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusil,

Thank you for writing me back, I went into the account tab on windows, but when I'm pressing space nothing happens. I don't see the "fix hardlinks" buttons. Just to be sure I am doing the right thing, I also tried on Mac and when I was pressing the alt button I saw two new options and one of them was indeed "fix hardlinks" however on windows that thing does not happen. Do you know what could be the cause?

Thank you!

BillShiphr
New member | Level 2

I have such trouble, did you solve it? Will be thankful for your answer!

cipciugames
Explorer | Level 3

Not yet... have you tried what Lusil proposed?

Lusil
Dropboxer

If you're having this issue with your Windows OS, you'll have to follow the same steps, but when you reach the 5th one, you'll have to press the Space key.

Let me know how it goes, @cipciugames and @BillShiphr

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

cipciugames
Explorer | Level 3

When I'm pressing space nothing happens. 

https://youtu.be/CwGsxOhEeUM 

Here you can see what I did and as soon as I was on the account tab I pressed space for like 5 seconds and nothing happend.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Thanks for going through the trouble of creating a video illustrating this, @cipciugames!

Hmm. :thinking: Could you try temporarily closing any secruity software, including your antivirus, which may be hindering the syncing process of the desktop app? Could you also make sure that you've configured your firewall to work with Dropbox?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @cipciugames; sorry to jump in here.

Could you try 'Alt+H' instead of the space key when on your account's tab within the app's preferences? 

This should bring up the relevant buttons to fix permissions and hardlinks.

Keep us posted! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

cipciugames
Explorer | Level 3

I managed to fix the hardlinks this way, however this was not the solution to my problem. I'm still only downloading on the Desktop machine, but no upload.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropboxer
    cipciugames Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?