cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox stopped working on Windows Server 2008 R2 on 01/19.2018

Dropbox stopped working on Windows Server 2008 R2 on 01/19.2018

thiagomf11
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dropbox stopped working on Windows Server 2008 R2 on 01/19.2018. Is there any incompatibility with this system? 

Does any version of windows server support? (2012, 2016?)

16 Replies 16

OC G.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

I know Dropbox does not support Windows 2008 server and with it the older OS'ses.

But this older server is an excellent Cloud server and Dropbox worked flawlessly, until yesterday.

We have tried all available tricks, older version, login through Chrome, run as administrator etc.

Dropbox did a really good job in detecting all these tricks.

Please dropbox give us a working version, it might have less features, it might be very basic, i dont care. Please release a working older dropbox version.

If anbody has some tricks to get this running, please let me know, thanks a million

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
I'm not contradicting myself. Server 2003 was XP based, and nearly any piece of software that would run on XP would run on Server 2000 and Server 2003. Only applications that had specific driver requirements were likely to be a problem when server drivers weren't available. This is likely why Dropbox was able to work without issue on those servers. Newer server operating systems, while still based on a desktop OS, have less in common with their desktop counterparts and it takes a bit more effort to make sure a piece of software will run on a server OS. Dropbox is likely not putting that effort into the newer versions of Dropbox because it has never supported servers. Why program for an OS that you don't support?

And, I'm not arguing with you or anyone else here. I'm simply commenting on the situation with information that I've learned over the years, much of which comes directly from the Dropboxers.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Due to the fact they are current pulling support for various OS's I suspect you are not going to be able to get this running I'm afraid.

Sorry 😞

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

OC G.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks Mark,

I know, i had to try, we are moving away from Dropbox because of this (unfortunately)

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
There are two questions that been brought up in this thread:

• Why is Windows Server 2008 no longer supported?
  • Why weren’t we informed about this change?

For these questions, I can provide the following answers:

However, this does require delving into detail. Even though our site specifically states we don’t support Windows Server, we do know that some users do use Dropbox on their server, so we provide very limited information about how to make it work. After that, if issues crop up, then we can’t really help out.

Now, as you know, as of January 16th, support for Mac OS 10.6, 10.7,  and 10.8 were removed, along with Windows Vista.

The curious thing about Vista is that Windows Server 2008 is built from the same code base as Windows Vista; therefore, it shares much of the same architecture and functionality.” according to Wikipedia and our dev team.

So, long story short, when support for the desktop app for Vista ended, so did the desktop app for Windows Server 2008. No notifications were sent out to server users because it was never supported to begin with.

We do understand your frustration over this matter and have logged it with our team here to take this into consideration for the future, should other server users be affected with any deprecation of other OSes.

Note however that this can’t be guaranteed from my end, as (and I hate to repeat myself again) Dropbox doesn’t officially support server editions of Windows, or any OSes not on this page.

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here.]

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

edp1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have Installed Dropbox in Windows 2008 R2 Server.Since it was working fine but now its not working.Please advise how to solve this issue

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@edp1 wrote:

I have Installed Dropbox in Windows 2008 R2 Server.Since it was working fine but now its not working.Please advise how to solve this issue

I have merged your post into another thread that answers this. Please refer to the two solutions posted at the top of this thread.

The system requirements for Dropbox are listed here:

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    edp1 New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    OC G. New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?