cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox stops as soons as it opens

Dropbox stops as soons as it opens

simdhertefelt
Explorer | Level 4

I installed dropbox on a new windows 10 pc. Every time dropbox starts and as soon as the sync icon appears the application quits.

I tried:

• updating windows
  • uninstalling and reinstalling dropbox, including deleting the local app data
  • windows firewall accepts Dropbox for private and public
5 Replies 5

Re: Dropbox stops as soons as it opens

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi there @simdhertefelt, welcome to the Dropbox Community!

Great work on the troubleshooting so far, it seems that you've covered most bases there! Just to clarify, when you mentioned reinstalling including deleting the local app data, did you follow the full advanced reinstall steps listed here? If not, I might suggest just trying the steps outlined there.

Otherwise, can you let me know which version of the desktop app that you have installed on your computer?

Let me know what you find and we'll go from there - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

simdhertefelt
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Daphne, Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did and redid the full advanced reinstall you mentioned. Same problem persists. Dropbox version is the latest I downloaded today: 81.4.195. 

pvstodghill
New member | Level 2

Something is rotten with 81.4.195 for new installations...

Today, I had a similar problem when I set up a new machine to dual-boot Windows 10 (1903) and Ubuntu 19.04. A fresh Dropbox (81.4.195) install on both OS's exhibited the same problem:

After downloading the dropbox-dist package and starting dropboxd, I was able to sucessfully connect the machine/OS to my Dropbox account. Afterwards the daemon status would display "Starting..." and then, after a moment, the daemon would restart. Then, after another moment, it would restart again. An so on.

In the case of Windows, the system tray icon would disappear and reappear. In the case of Ubuntu, I use the "headless" install method; the daemon would print "dropbox: locating interpreter", etc., pause, and then repeat. Both OS's repeated this behavior until I killed the daemon process. Neither OS made any progress downloading files.

Here's how I worked around the problem under Ubuntu by downgrading to 80.4.127:

# make sure that all Dropbox processes are stopped
dropbox stop
ps auxwww | fgrep -i dropbox
# ...
# Remove 81.4.195
rm -rf ~/.dropbox-dist
# Download 80.4.127
wget https://clientupdates.dropboxstatic.com/dbx-releng/client/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-80.4.127.tar.gz
# Install 80.4.127
tar zxf dropbox-lnx.x86_64-80.4.127.tar.gz
# start Dropbox again
dropbox start
# ... wait until everything is "Up to date" ...
# Upgrade Dropbox to the most recent version
dropbox update

At this point stopping and starting Dropbox appears to work correctly.

I found the 80.4.127 build here. I have not yet tried the same trick under Windows.

simdhertefelt
Explorer | Level 4

Oh my! Installing version 80.4.127 worked for me as well on windows 10! Thanks a million @pvstodghill ! Saved my day.

Customer support said they would have an engineer contact me... Hope they can fix this issue quickly.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey peeps, hope you both had a great weekend!

Thanks for your detailed post here @pvstodghill, I'm sure that this will be helpful for those who come across this thread! I'm glad to hear that your suggestion also fixed the issue for @simdhertefelt too, it's great to see that Community spirit in action. :grin:

Please do keep us updated with any other issues or questions about this, I'll be happy to help.

Have a great start to the week - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropboxer
    simdhertefelt Explorer | Level 4
    pvstodghill New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?