cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox stops syncing after wakeup from sleep

Dropbox stops syncing after wakeup from sleep

john1911
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

For the last few weeks, Dropbox has stopped synching after my computer wakes up after sleep.  YES, I know it doesn't sync when sleeping, but it should resume when the computer is woken up.  It used for for years, for the last few weeks, the only way to get it's attention is to exit Dropbox and restart it everytime I wake the computer up.

Has anyone come up with a solution to this issue?  I'm considering a script to kill Dropbox and restart it, that seems to be the only thing I can come up with.

Windows 10 Home, 64bit.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

john1911
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

For anyone that cases what the solution was, apparently Dropbox has recently instituted a limit on the number of devices that you can sync.  Of course, they don't give you ANY notification that you've exceeded the limit and your device is no longer being synced, that would have been far too easy.  I had to go digging around in the options on the Dropbox.com site to finally find that it had more than three devices linked and they were just ignoring any extras.  No message, no warning, just crickets when you tried to sync something from one of the "unfavored" devices.

I'm also a bit surprised that Dropbox support doesn't know this, it has to be a pretty common issue with all the portable devices we now own!  Some simple notification from the application would have been all that would have been required to know what was going on here, but I guess that's asking too much! :confounded:

For anyone else that runs into similar issues, look under your Dropbox account on the web, Settings, Security, and scroll down and you'll find Devices.  If you have more than three, there is a notification that you can only have three devices, not exactly obvious until you start trolling all the options and settings!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hello @john1911, let's see what we can do here. 

Have you tried fixing hardlinks and permissions by following these steps?

Give it a shot and let me know how it goes, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

john1911
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I did that, now I just have to see if it keeps working after a sleep.

john1911
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

No change, didn't work.  Looks like DROPBOX has totally forgot how to move files! :unamused:

Note the yellow arrow is a file that I had on my computer for three days, and Dropbox thinks it's brand new.  Also, the file with the red arrow is on the web copy of dropbox, but never updates on my computer.

I hasten to add, this all worked up until a couple weeks ago, and other then Microsoft slipping in some Windows update, I have changed nothing.  Dropbox clearly seems broken.

Here's what I see on my computer.

___DROPBOX LOCAL.png

Here's what I see when I go to DROPBOX.COM

___DROPBOX WEB.png

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Could there be a third party app, a security software, or antivirus affecting this? 

Also, could you double-check if there are any remaining OS updates?

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

john1911
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I haven't changed anything since before it stopped working.  I just use Microsoft's security and MalwareBytes, they've been installed for a long time.  Other than their normal updates, no changes.  They're also not alerting to any security issues with Dropbox, or anything else for that matter. I'm at a loss as to what happened to it.

Windows is up to date.

___DROPBOX Win Update.png

john1911
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

For anyone that cases what the solution was, apparently Dropbox has recently instituted a limit on the number of devices that you can sync.  Of course, they don't give you ANY notification that you've exceeded the limit and your device is no longer being synced, that would have been far too easy.  I had to go digging around in the options on the Dropbox.com site to finally find that it had more than three devices linked and they were just ignoring any extras.  No message, no warning, just crickets when you tried to sync something from one of the "unfavored" devices.

I'm also a bit surprised that Dropbox support doesn't know this, it has to be a pretty common issue with all the portable devices we now own!  Some simple notification from the application would have been all that would have been required to know what was going on here, but I guess that's asking too much! :confounded:

For anyone else that runs into similar issues, look under your Dropbox account on the web, Settings, Security, and scroll down and you'll find Devices.  If you have more than three, there is a notification that you can only have three devices, not exactly obvious until you start trolling all the options and settings!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

john1911 Helpful | Level 5
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?