cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox sync is freezing my computer

Dropbox sync is freezing my computer

tuhinpaul
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

I am a paying user of Dropbox. I am using Windows 10. A few weeks back I have upgraded to v 76.4.126. I have enabled smart sync for all files except a few with default settings as online only. Before the upgrade, my files would sync fast. But now at any point in time, the status is shown as "Downloading 178,885 files".

Whenever Dropbox is syncing (not paused) it freezes my computer every 7-10 mins making it unresponsive for almost 3-5 mins before it begins to respond again. Some times even the cursor stops responding. The longer it runs the more frequently it freezes my computer. After referring to another similar thread: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installs-integrations/Syncing-causes-system-freeze/td-p/280194 , I even carried out memory tests using memtest64 and a few other software but found no error with my hardware memory. The freezing problem happens only when Dropbox is syncing.

I would be really grateful for any help in this regard.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

tuhinpaul
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Hi Lusil,
In my case Dropbox's smart sync + a large number of files might be causing trouble with my explorer. Dropbox was always stuck in downloading mode. By limiting the download speed to 100kbps I could improve the situation. But I still faced freezing a couple of times daily even after a fresh install of OS. At present I am using a new laptop, and things are working fine on that.
I would suggest you uninstall Dropbox and then reinstall it. Then progressively sync small number of files at a time. Hopefully this would work. That's what I did on the new laptop and it's working fine.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

JamieTebay
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

May sound stupid and simple but have you tried re-installing DropBox completely? 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @tuhinpaul - sorry to hear that. 

Since you are experiencing high CPU usage from the Dropbox application, you may want to review the following article first which covers the most common causes of high CPU usage and the steps to resolve these:

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/high-cpu-usage

I hope this helps and please keep me posted!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

tuhinpaul
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@JamieTebay Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that as a last resort.

tuhinpaul
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks @Walter! Let me try changing permissions as mentioned here: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/move-dropbox-folder#permissions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Take as much time as you need to check things out on your end Paul.

Just keep us posted!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

tuhinpaul
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Walter the problem is still persisting even after I have changed the permissions as mentioned in the link provided by you. 

I have also gone through all the other checklists:

The desktop app is syncing a large number of files
Current status: Downloading 179346 files @ 288kbps even though I have set the download bandwidth to 100 KB/s

External factors (or third-party apps) are conflicting with Dropbox
Computer freezes even when Avast antivirus is disabled. No other app seems to be interfering.

Files in the Dropbox folder have incorrect file permissions
Already performed the operations outlined in this step

There are a large number of files in your Dropbox folder
It's true that I have a large number of files (179000+) but nothing extraordinarily large number.

The Dropbox folder is installed on a NAS device
No it is not.

Your file system doesn’t support extended attributes
Earlier things were working fine so I guess this is not an issue at all

Symlinks are causing issues
There are no symlinks

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for going through all these steps for me @tuhinpaul - most appreciated.

As I wanted to get a more concrete view of your setup and account's specifics, I just sent you a brief message to your Dropbox associated email address.

At your earliest convenience, please take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there. 

Thanks again and until we speak again, enjoy the rest of your day!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @tuhinpaul

Just wanted to follow up on this thread and check if you were able to resolve your concern in the end. If so, what steps did you follow? 

Thanks in advance! :laughing:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

tuhinpaul
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Hi Lusil,
In my case Dropbox's smart sync + a large number of files might be causing trouble with my explorer. Dropbox was always stuck in downloading mode. By limiting the download speed to 100kbps I could improve the situation. But I still faced freezing a couple of times daily even after a fresh install of OS. At present I am using a new laptop, and things are working fine on that.
I would suggest you uninstall Dropbox and then reinstall it. Then progressively sync small number of files at a time. Hopefully this would work. That's what I did on the new laptop and it's working fine.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    tuhinpaul Helpful | Level 6
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?